Upholstery shop - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Upholstery shop

Hello. I am about ready to take my 36 Ford pickup to the upholstery shop for an estimate on getting a complete upholstery installation. I have bucket seats. Anyone got any pitfalls or pointers that they can pass on to me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 AM
Last photo:

Bring lots of money, quality upholstery work is expensive.

Vince
Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Have some idea of what colors, what material, and anything else regarding how you want it to look. Make sure you have everything done with wiring, ducting, switches, body repairs, sound deadening, etc. so that the truck is all ready for upholstery. Anything that the upholstery shop has to do for you, or worse yet work around, will cost you money.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 08-15-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:39 PM

+1 on what Dan said. Come prepared, and make sure your truck is ready for them.

Have a general idea of what you want. Do you have sketches, or better yet, a professional rendering? Even a bar napkin doodle can help make it easier to convey what you want than hemming and hawwing when you walk through the door "oh I kinda want um, colors, and like stripes, and uh, pleats? yeah pleats, um... what else... oh yeah, can you do color thread? um, what material is cheap? How much is it for yellow? how about red? same price? hmm, what about purple?"

yes, this is really how half of my daily walk-ins go. Have an idea what you want, but also have an open mind - if the trimmer recommends a particular material, it's probably because it is a good material to use. We don't get kick-backs, and our work has to stand the test of time, so we try to recommend stuff that will give you your money's worth in the long run. Do some brain storming with the trimmer if you're unsure about patterns and/or designs - you want vertical pleats in your doors, and diamonds in your seats, and don't understand why they're trying to talk you out of it and maybe suggest sticking to one pleat pattern... that's because when we do this all day, every day, we know what works and what doesn't. When we recommend staying away from something, it's probably because we want you to be happy with the end result, and not sit there pissed off you just spend several thousand dollars for something that looks like crap, even though it sounded good in your head.

Hope this helps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StitchIzz For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (09-07-2013), rustman (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for the helpful input.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchIzz View Post
+1 on what Dan said. Come prepared, and make sure your truck is ready for them.

Have a general idea of what you want. Do you have sketches, or better yet, a professional rendering? Even a bar napkin doodle can help make it easier to convey what you want than hemming and hawwing when you walk through the door "oh I kinda want um, colors, and like stripes, and uh, pleats? yeah pleats, um... what else... oh yeah, can you do color thread? um, what material is cheap? How much is it for yellow? how about red? same price? hmm, what about purple?"

yes, this is really how half of my daily walk-ins go. Have an idea what you want, but also have an open mind - if the trimmer recommends a particular material, it's probably because it is a good material to use. We don't get kick-backs, and our work has to stand the test of time, so we try to recommend stuff that will give you your money's worth in the long run. Do some brain storming with the trimmer if you're unsure about patterns and/or designs - you want vertical pleats in your doors, and diamonds in your seats, and don't understand why they're trying to talk you out of it and maybe suggest sticking to one pleat pattern... that's because when we do this all day, every day, we know what works and what doesn't. When we recommend staying away from something, it's probably because we want you to be happy with the end result, and not sit there pissed off you just spend several thousand dollars for something that looks like crap, even though it sounded good in your head.

Hope this helps
"StichIzz" is bang on the money here. Being in a trade, and it doesn't matter which one, it is extremely helpful if the customer does have an idea of what he or she wants...and listen to the professional, the customer brings it to them for a reason, usually because the customer can't do it themselves, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Things that frustrate the people that you have chosen to do your interior work, body work, paint work, mechanical or what ever are.

1) Choosing a path and changing your mind half way through...it's expensive...for the customer and the person performing the work. So, be certain....if you change your mind...be prepared to pay.

2) A customer that comes in and says, "I was told by a friend that you should do it this way"...When I hear this, my first thought is, then take it to your friend. Often what you read, watched on television, or overheard at the water cooler at work does not make you a professional, professionals become that way from the experience of actually doing it...and doing it often.

3) Do some homework (as mentioned), we can't read your mind...pictures of similar work, renderings, discussion...a little information may be dangerous, but...No information leaves everyone helpless.

4) After the work is done and your happy with it...give credit where credit is due...from experience I have built vehicles and one in particular where the owner gave his wife credit "for letting him build another one". He never touched a wrench, a piece of sand paper or a piece of fabric.

The list can go on but that's a start...You will find that the people you have chosen to do work for you will be much more agreeable and flexible when the whole process is approached positively.

Advice for getting anything done...get references...and check them out, see what they are doing at the moment and what they have done in the past. It makes it much easier to choose a shop and gives you a comfort zone of trust...and get everything in writing, it helps you and the shop.

Hope this helps.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
StitchIzz (09-24-2013)

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.