upholstery supplies? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2002, 06:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post upholstery supplies?

I'm trying to make my own interior and I need to find out what and where I can find chip board. I read in a book to use it but no upholstery shop knows what it is.Please help if you can. thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2002, 01:07 AM
old member

i've never been able to find it either...nobody's ever heard of it up here in NY...try using abs plastic....025,.040 etc.,try sign shops!there's a product called sintex,for signboard,that works!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 05:40 AM

Last photo:

Wink

There are companies advertised in the StreetScene that offer plastic door panels very reasonable and have good selection of surface patterns.
Bar that if you really want to do it all yourself.
I found some 1/8 inch board in 4X4 sixes at the local Home depot. And you cannot beat J.C. Whitney for various cloth both 'piped' and plan. Their supplier is Aristocrat. Also if you stick with the top of the line products here they will match anything I have seen at street use machines and shows.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

go to any home or builders supply and ask for 1/8" untempered masonite or hardboard, they all have it 4x8 sheets been using it for years, even the cheap wall paneling will work. 3/32 in thick.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

steve here i use cheap paneling to i also use cardboard i cut out what i want then spray it all down with 3m adhesive spray let dry then spray where you want your fabric to go hope this helps
Old 11-13-2002, 06:25 AM

where would I be able to find some leather if i decide to redo my interior with leather? I haven't seen any leather in the (very few) places I have looked that looks like the same stuff used in cars. Is there a special "car leather", maybe treated somehow? or is it the same stuff and I'm just making things too hard for myself?

also, IF i do go with leather, would i still spray it with the adhesive and mount it that way? I would like to have some stitching showing so I was going to just stitch it onto the board (pre-punch holes in the board) but I bet it would be a lot easier if i used the spray adhesive first then don't have to worry about it sliding around and all... but would that ruin the leather?

EDIT -- stupid fingers.. never hit the keys i tell them to....

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Miststlkr ]</p>
Old 11-13-2002, 12:27 PM

HEY MIST: There are a number of guys who advertise in Hemmings Motor News that sell leather. Bill Hirsch was at Hersey and had a whole table of end runs and large left overs. I know they have add in Hemmings. Ahh you might try hitting cow, ahh maybe not. DAVE SHANK
Old 11-13-2002, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

if you want a pattern in your leather you buy some thin polyfoam 1/4-1/2" and some cambric type material (keeps he stitches from pulling out, looks kinda like cheesecloth), then stitch through them and glue the results to the panel.
Old 11-16-2002, 02:25 PM

thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:17 PM
Live long and prosper!

Try contacting www.keystonbros.com, not sure if they supply retail, but they supply to most of the top interior shops.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:41 AM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

Yes, there is an automotive grade of leather. Leather is glued and sewn the same ways that vinyl or fabric is, you'll just need an industrial grade machine and a bit bigger needle to sew some thicker leathers. This is the best time of year to buy leather, at the end of year alot of companies are closing out certain colors and they can be picked up for cheap. We have quite of few colors of leather being sold for very good prices now.

About the chip board, we can get that stuff, we don't use it any more. There are a lot of new products that have replaced that stuff that are alot better. What are you exactly using it for? We used to use it for pattern making. Tha'ts really all that I would recommend using it for.

Shawn Krist
Krist Kustoms
Kustom Automotive Interiors

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.