Hot Rod Forum banner

Upholstry Glue

12K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  tobyjuarez 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm tired of trying to use the various glues available locally.
They never seem to hold as well as I want them too. I'm about to do some scuplted door panels with foam and cloth. I really want it to hold well in the corners and stay in place.
In the past I've used both 3M spray ons available here and every brand of brushable contact cement I could find, both flammable and not.
What do the pros use here? I see on some of the TV show they spray it out of a pump up tank. I want my stuff to stay put! Any ideas?

Larry

#2 ·
Larry, try your local upholstery shops.
You'll need to bring a sealable container [not glass] for them to put it in. Mine charged going price for it, was reasonable. It can be brushed on or sprayed.
Use in a well ventilated area. It's real good contact cement and does not come apart.
Bunch of us did our interiors past couple years and no one has experienced fabric, foam or panels coming apart.

#3 ·
You need to use Landau Top and trim adhesive, its contact cement, get it from a place that supplies to the industry so you know your getting the real deal. If your doing the sculped door panels and youre using closed cell foam you must scuff the foam to release the skin, the contact cement will peel off of the skin along with your material if you dont. You can use a cheap spray gun to spray it, like one from harbor freight. Spray both sides, the material and the panel, let dry untill it does not feel tacky any more, then go for it.

#4 ·
I dont know if this will help my Friend who runs his own shop was telling me his wife's Sable's dash was peeling off {like the all do around the instrument cluster}
So he used That gorilla glue & some sand bags to conform to the shape for weight

Its been a year & 1/2 & its still holding

I hope this helps you out.

R :thumbup:

#13 ·
Hi guys,

I new to this upholstery thing and have been trying to do some practice panels. I bought some white closed cell foam, called Ethafoam, I think, at a plastic shop to use, but when I glue vinyl on top of it, it looks terrible. Have I got the wrong foam (they'd never heard the name Volara), or is it just because I'm using cheap vinyl to practice with? If I just brush glue into the foam cuts, will that work? I've got to get this right before I do some serious work.

#16 ·
Adhesive

The Landau Top and Trim adhesive from an upholstery supplier is correct for doing trim work. The advantage of the correct adhesive is that you can lift your material back up if you dont put too much pressure on your work. It lets you have a semi permanent bond untill you apply pressure. You can't just lay the material on a panel on the first shot, you have to pull in all directions to displace material evenly. I think other contact cements are more of a permanent bond, so if you touch the two pieces together they are stuck for good, if you pull them apart your gonna rip the foam or material. However, there are a lot of plastic trim panels being used in modern cars that only certain adhesives will stick to but for your custom molded door panels and home made stuff, carpets, padding etc. its perfect.
good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.