Hot Rod Forum banner

upper a arm rubbing

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  RodFather 
#1 ·
I have a mustang II suspension (old style not tubluar) and when I turn my wheel all the way to the right or the left it hits the a arm. I can't use spacers because the wheels wouldn't be under the fenders when lowered (air bag suspension).

Hopefully I won't turn the car that sharp to hit the a arm but can anyone suggest something say a rubber piece attatched to the a arm to protect the wheel incase it hits. What if I rhino lined the a arm would that stuff stay on and cushion the wheel

#2 ·
Limit stops

There are supposed to be limit stops on the a frame that limit the amount you can turn the wheels so this does not happen..Tho with larger tires or modified suspension sometimes they need to be extended or added to to prevent this sort of thing..

I think if you look you will see the the tire hit the frame or a arm before the spindle hits the limit stops..

If you look at a factory car you will see the spindles hit the stops to giv eyou an idea of what is needed..

Tha tis what I would look at..

OMT

#5 ·
Actually, the limit is built into the rack & pinion. If you pull the boots off of the rack & pinion, you will see the inner tie rod end (ball shoulder) and a jam nut up against it. The jam nut acts as the stop and hits the housing of the rack & pinion.

I wonder if your steering was centered when it was set-up and aligned? The way I read you post, it sounded like only one side was hitting?

With stock MII arms, the most backspacing on a 15" rim is 3 7/8".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.