Hot Rod Forum banner

Upper Ball Joint Trouble

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Camaro_Nut2001 
#1 ·
Hello, I replaced my upper control arm shaft and bushings on my '69 C10 and new upper ball joint and new rubber bumper. The trouble is I can't get the new upper ball joint in the spindle enough to start my nut. I have tried a C-clamp and hammer and I can get it almost enough to feel a thread but I can't get it to go any further to get the nut on to tighten it up. I checked the ball joint to the old one and it's the same. Anyone got a trick to getting it in enough to get my nut on? Thank you

#2 ·
You probably need to compress the spring a bit........Where is your jack stand sitting to support the lower "A" arm?......The further out toward the wheel it sits, the more it will compress the spring (leverage)......You may be able to pull the upper "A" frame down enough with a bar while someone else threads the nut on.

#3 ·
You sure it's exactly the same? I did my ball joints/bushings on my '71 C20, then helped a friend do his '72 C10...and noticed the half-ton (C10) ball joints were smaller in diameter. They look identical as far as the taper of the joint, but the diameter was definitely smaller.

Other than that, another problem could be you can't get the spindle up high enough. Usually it's a problem if there's no engine/trans in the truck (not enough weight to compress the spring with a jack under the lower A-arm). If you have a spring compressor still on the spring, you should be able to get the ball joint in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.