Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - upper radiator hose
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro820
Yes it is a Chevy. And I did have the intake off. But I also used the se gaskets as before and installed the same way. It never did it then. I thought it was the thermostat and possibly put it in upside down but it wasn't and it is working properly. As far as overheating, it really doesn't go above 170 and it has a 160 installed now. A friend of mine had the same problem minus the clicking sound and what he did to fix it was installed a wire inside the upper hose and that fixed his minor overheating and collapsing hose.
The upper hose should not require a wire coil to keep it from collapsing. This is a problem with the suction side (lower) hose so these have a a spring in them. But the upper should always be seeing pressure from the pump, the cap, and the thermal expansion of the coolant. Usually before the thermostat opens you can squeeze the upper hose closed but when the thermostat opens and pressure is applied this becomes most difficult to do. If the the upper hose is collapsing, then something very unusual is going on to cause not only a loss of pressure on the return side but the formation of less than atmospheric pressure inside that section of the cooling system. Assuming this is a normal Gen I Small Block. If this is an LT1 or 4 or has a new LS series engine then the issues get more complex and you could see the return hose collapse.

Bogie