UPS Employee Just Tossed a Package Over the Fence! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

UPS Employee Just Tossed a Package Over the Fence!

Just five minutes ago, a seasonal employee helping the UPS driver chucked a package over the very small fence in front of my house, instead of just gently placing it on the other side or coming through the door and handing it off. It landed all crooked in a corner.

I saw the guy get back into his truck just as I was coming outside after hearing the truck approach. Both the driver and the employee took off without a care. These guys didn't even take ten seconds.

Luckily, there wasn't anything in there that could've been damaged.

One would think that with FedEx's video going viral earlier this week, and a UPS employee's video making the rounds online a couple of days later, these guys would be on top of this. Apparently not. I'm gonna guess that, despite this behavior, no one's job is in danger.

Sure wish I had a camera set up. But then again, if these companies don't care, then what's the point any more. Both FedEx and UPS have got a monopoly on shipping. They know we really can't go to anyone else except USPS.

Just unbelievable. Thanks for reading my rant...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have seen the clips of mishandling packages. My understanding is some have been identified and no longer employed. The UPS and FedX people that service us are very dependable and reliable. Never seen any thing like this.

Trees
Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

You mean ups and fedex mishandling packages is a new thing?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Rough handling

None of this is anything new.

About a zillion years ago I worked (briefly) for the Post Orifice and I found that when a package is marked "Fragile" it almost always gets special handling - after all, we have to find out if the sender lied or not, right? If, after a couple of "kick it against the wall and drop it" attempts, it still doesn't rattle, we can assume that it actually is NOT fragile, so it can be handled normally!

Later I was freight handler (a summer job while I was in university) and , well, same thing.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Boys I gotta say this is new to me. Up until yesterday, my situation has been exactly like Trees. I mean, I've always heard the behind-the-scene stories like those you mentioned Dave, but maybe I've always been on the lucky side? The drivers from both companies have always been courteous and polite, taking the time to come through the fence and dropping off whatever I ordered.

The only issues I ever had was with the United States Postal Service, and it was a couple of magazines that got shredded on the belt. Although recently, a UPS driver who had dropped off package for me at the end of his shift one evening, almost ran his truck into my car the next day when pulling onto the street from a parking lot...

I guess I am just shocked by what happened yesterday and that it took place in broad day light with people around, even after what happened earlier in the week. I had nothing fragile so no harm done, but I do feel for those who do get the same treatment and find their stuff broken.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

Well, i used to work the outbound belt at ups and..............not proud or happy about what happened............

Anyways, i think the problem stems from a breakdown in society; This will probably require another thread, thought, time, analysis, and possible solutions.

---What would cause him to act so abruptly and neglect(from our standpoint at least) his duties?

a) Pressure from management----too much work required from too little time?
b) Other (perhaps unessesary)pressure/problems from management? Boy, do i know about this.........
c) Other pressures or personal problems, possibly even indirectly caused by a and b above; e.g., Wife doesn't get along with others at work then comes home all huffy and takes it out on him. The next day he is at a loss as to why and therefore his mind is not totally devoted to work etc. etc. etc.....?

d) Just poor management in general; i think we can agree that management just isn't the same as say the 40's, 50's, 60's etc. If the people running GM in the 60's were running it now i think it's safe to say the the bankruptcy would have never happened.

2) Possible just general "mental overload" in society in general? i know in my case i'm just so "furiously busy" just trying to keep up with menial tasks such as doing laundry, taking a shower etc. that i often get overwhelmed and this is so not a good feeling.
i am definitely working more hours than ever before. Not sure why this is and i've noticed this trend in general.

This is the first time in weeks i've actually been able to relax in front of the computer---only because it's the holiday weekend.

We will probably need to start a new thread dealing with this grave topic.

3) P.S. Another thing i've noticed is that even IF a person is fully employed with a good salary----e.g., fedex or ups delivery driver, IF that person has financial problems this could be a very stressful----possibly even worse feeling than being unemployed. Because it feels like even with this good salary that you can't make any progress getting out of the hole. i've noticed this observing some co-workers.

Last edited by against all odds; 12-24-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Like w/so many jobs today- there's a lack of qualified, motivated personel being hired. The MAIN prerequisite to employment is to pass a piss test.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds
---What would cause him to act so abruptly and neglect(from our standpoint at least) his duties?

a) Pressure from management----too much work required from too little time?
b) Other (perhaps unessesary)pressure/problems from management? Boy, do i know about this.........
c) Other pressures or personal problems, possibly even indirectly caused by a and b above; e.g., Wife doesn't get along with others at work then comes home all huffy and takes it out on him. The next day he is at a loss as to why and therefore his mind is not totally devoted to work etc. etc. etc.....?

d) Just poor management in general; i think we can agree that management just isn't the same as say the 40's, 50's, 60's etc. If the people running GM in the 60's were running it now i think it's safe to say the the bankruptcy would have never happened.

2) Possible just general "mental overload" in society in general? i know in my case i'm just so "furiously busy" just trying to keep up with menial tasks such as doing laundry, taking a shower etc. that i often get overwhelmed and this is so not a good feeling.
i am definitely working more hours than ever before. Not sure why this is and i've noticed this trend in general.

This is the first time in weeks i've actually been able to relax in front of the computer---only because it's the holiday weekend.

We will probably need to start a new thread dealing with this grave topic.

3) P.S. Another thing i've noticed is that even IF a person is fully employed with a good salary----e.g., fedex or ups delivery driver, IF that person has financial problems this could be a very stressful----possibly even worse feeling than being unemployed. Because it feels like even with this good salary that you can't make any progress getting out of the hole. i've noticed this observing some co-workers.
All good points, and any or every one of those can be a likely scenario. People have all kinds of stress these days, and I try to be very considerate of that fact when dealing with people.

The thing that bothers me is, despite all the stress, every single one of us is very lucky to have a job right now, even if its a job we don't like. I have dealt with my share of bad management but I have never taken it out on the customer, knowing full well the customer is the reason I get paid. Not to say my record is perfect, as I know I could have done better in a few situations, but chose not to due to a more selfish state of mind.

My personal thinking is, the kid who did the tossing was a seasonal employee and yesterday was the last day at work. Probably didn't give a damn bout the work and just wanted to get paid. Everyone wants to be off early on the Friday before a major holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Like w/so many jobs today- there's a lack of qualified, motivated personel being hired. The MAIN prerequisite to employment is to pass a piss test.
Agreed. And the work ethic of alot - not all - of younger folk is horrifying. Many seem to take their first jobs as joke, defending themselves by saying it isn't what they are going to do once out of school. So no motivation to do the jobs they have now. Throw in cellphones and iPods on the job, well...

Tags
off topic, stories, ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.