Hot Rod Forum banner

UPS at work

952 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Halloweenking 
#1 ·
FYI. I just sold a stock cast iron intake and exhaust manifold for a '53 Chevy pickup on eBay. It arrived at the buyer's home broken in half!!! Never doubt the ability of shippers to screw up a shippment. Watch the first 5 minutes of the Jim Carrey movie Ace Ventura, Pet Detective for a seminar on UPS delivery techniques.

#2 ·
Damn Bro! I'm sorry to hear that. You do know that you can fill out a bit of paperwork and get UPS to pay you back for that trashed stuff don't ya? They've destroyed and lost several things I've sent in the past, but they always pay up.

The problem is mostly around the holidays, when they have to hire lots of inexperienced guys to handle the extra shipment density.

And I always pack stuff thinking that the gorillas on the loading docks are going to play football with it. Styrofoam and dual boxes (inner and outer) are your best defense against those dudes. The heavier the object is, the more likely some underpaid guy will take out his hatred for his boss on your package and throw it a little harder than need be.

#3 ·
Yes, I have initiated the reparations process and expect to be reimbursed. It just blows me away that they can break a cast iron piece. If I had spent any more on shipping (added weight - added shipping cost) the buyer would have put out a contract on me. He was already paying 3x more for shipping than he did for the part! It is getting rediculous. Even though I warn bidders that shipping will be really bad, they still respond as though I had borken into their bank and stole their money when I send them the UPS calculation. At second thought, that is how I respond when I buy parts too!

#4 ·
I bought some front inner fenders from a parts dealer for my 72 Chevy truck and they showed up on my doorstep dented and scratched. I wasn't at home at the time otherwise I would have refused them. It wasn't that big of a deal since I'm having them powder coated but the fact that UPS just tossed them around really pissed me off.

#5 ·
my advice is to pack something very well, obviously, but DON'T put a FRAGILE sticker on there! I think all it does is provoke the little shipping punks to give it a good toss. Best not to draw attention to the fact that something may need a little TLC. That's the last thing on their minds. If UPS and others decided to deduct all these claims from everyone's salaries then maybe they'd show a little more respect and get every parcel to its destination intact.

JB

#6 ·
I had a problem with the ups people about two years ago. I sent a stained glass window I spent 47.5 hours on, it was packed so well that the people that make the pakaging garantee that the glass won't break or the will buy the peice at double the price. Well the ups people broke that sucker in a million peices, don't know how, but whoever did it must be exstremely talented. Next day I went down and grabbed the little desk twerp by his nostrils and told him if anything else of mine gets broken from this terminal I'm coming back with my A-1 and steak knife and what I can't eat right there the rest of you will be put in the freazer for later. Havn't had a problen since.

HK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.