Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - urethane dangers
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Iso's don't just "go right through" an activated carbon filter if it is is still fresh and not saturated but the filters do not stop 100% of the fumes either. That chart I mentioned earlier showed declining protection from various contaminates and after a given amount of time depending on the contaminate and the concentration the permissible exposure limit could be exceeded before the filter reaches total saturation. With iso's fresh filters can provide adequate protection within permissible limits for an hour or so or for several hours depending on the concentration. The fact that there are a lot of painters out there who have been using these things for years with no apparent ill effects is testament to the fact that they do provide protection within a reasonable range. I would never recommend to anyone to use these things for total protection for continuous everyday use or in really heavily contaminated areas but for occasional use to simi pro use in a reasonably ventilated area they will provide adequate protection if they are fresh and used PROPERLY!
================================================== ==

EXACTLY!

Let me add a couple of things, First the most common respirators sold and used are three brands and most paint stores will carry all three. 3M, SAS, and Gerson, all are great and they have constant price wars and I will buy the one on sale every time.

Second thing that a lot of people I talk to have a hard time understanding, is keep the air flowing so fumes do not build up.

If you are shooting epoxy in a personal garage, have all the windows open and big door all the way up, same with 2K primer.

The last three high dollar vettes I did, the frames were epoxied outside the garage in the grass as well as the vett thats in the garage now.
Dirt does not come from floor, grass, comes from the body crevices and from your own body.