"Urethane" doesn't cure - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

"Urethane" doesn't cure

Last year I purchased a BC/CC "kit" from Xtreme 9000 auto finishes through EBay. The seller had a great feedback record, so I felt pretty confident in my purchase. Now it looks like they may have closed the doors and left no forwarding address, much less tech support.
Here's my delima.
The primer/sealer and the base came with reducer that was to be mixed with the paint and everything would be good (or so it seemed). I assumed that the catalist was premixed in the reducer. Twice, I've painted parts, but even after days of time to set, you can still scrape all the way to the original finish using just your thumbnail.

Suspecting that the paint was not being catalyzed, yesterday I used some old Sherwin Williams activator and mixed a little of the primer and coated the back side of a part. After a couple of hours, I could still wash the primer off using cheap lacquer thinner, but today, it is fully cured and won't wipe off.

Any thoughts about what I should do to make this paint work? Looks like I'll be sanding or wiping the primer off of the whole freaking car?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

If its something of value, Id remove it all, scrap the cheap **** and spray a quality product from a reputable company.

If the material you have sprayed on the car is not drying, you really have no choice but to remove it. Even if it does 'dry' Id suspect any solvents from topcoat material will cause the uncatalyzed undercoat to wrinkle.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

You could try putting heat to it (using some halogen lights placed a couple feet from the panel(s) or other source of heat) to see if it will kick. However, I think most of the seasoned veterans on here will probably recommend stripping off what you have and shooting a better product.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Your catalyst or activator and reducer are completely different materials..if the material is not kicking for you then you may have bad activator..it should kick within about 20 minutes or so when you shoot the paint..think collision shop where the car needs to be done post haste..you may have gotten burnt on this deal..this is why we recommend good product from good jobbers..Sorry..

With the products that I use I can shoot primer and by the time I get my gun cleaned and take a short break I can sand..same with base coat and clear coat..Once the car is prepped ( all the metal work and blocking..the hard part) the car can be painted complete in a days time..

Sam
Old 05-05-2009, 09:52 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogetter
Last year I purchased a BC/CC "kit" from Xtreme 9000 auto finishes through EBay.
Depending on how much time has passed, you can try to contest it through eBay and/or PayPal.

They require a hold on some of the business' funds for a certain length of time to prevent scammers to hit and run.

Might be worth looking in to, but you're still gonna be out all your labor.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogetter
Last year I purchased a BC/CC "kit" from Xtreme 9000 auto finishes through EBay.
Depending on how much time has passed, you can try to contest it through eBay and/or PayPal.

They require a hold on some of the business' funds for a certain length of time to prevent scammers to hit and run.

If you paid w/a CC they will let you contest it as well, within certain time constraints.

Might be worth looking in to, but you're still gonna be out all your labor.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Thank you all.
You're right about cure time. The DuPont urethanes that I've used before cured in short order and DuPont even recommends sanding before it gets rock hard.

The project is a 90 Camaro that I picked up cheap with the intention of giving it a good interior and decent exterior face lift, slipping in an LT1 and turning it. However, these days leaving the 3.1 V6 in it seems like the smart thing do.

I've resigned myself to removing the primer, but I was hoping to salvage the base that I have. The cc is Xtreme (5 Star) High Solid and seems to kick over just fine. So, I guess what I'm really looking for is a "universal" activator, if there is such a thing, since I have no way of knowing who actually manufactured the paint.

Thanks, again.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
I'd be trashing that stuff! I wouldn't even think about using it.

Brian
Old 05-06-2009, 09:51 PM

I know your getting a Hundred Opinions But base will cure on its own without activator..even the stuff that needs it.
I have taken the paint out of the can....small amounts and just coated a piece of metal with it to see the color before spraying and it hardens on its own without activator (paint requiring Activator)
Are you sure your not having a substrate problem ?

It may be the paint or Activator they sent..But that is rare

Did the paint you spilled on the outside of the can cure ?

I would check all variables

I hope you work it out

As for Xtreme they still have the ebay store and the phone number is good
there website is still good and that phone number works

Good Luck!!

52F1

Last edited by 52F1; 05-06-2009 at 10:05 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.