Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - urethane and polyurethane
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 09:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't know what the exact chemical differences are, not a chemist, but polyurethanes are slightly tougher then urethanes. Polyurethanes cure so hard that if they aren't buffed within a number of days, it will be very hard to buff out the wetsanding scratches. A popular polyurethane paint was imron by dupont, and is often used on fleet equiptment that may see rough use. Pierce mfg here in Wisconsin use to use imron on there fire trucks back 15 years ago when I went on a tour of their plant in tech school. I am not sure if they are still using imron or not. Many people will add clear to the last coat or two of single stage, but I haven't personally done it. Almost everything I spray is basecoat with a urethane clear, but will spray single stage acrylic enamel with hardener if I am painting something to do on the cheap. Both urethanes and polyurethanes single stage paints are available, and also available as clearcoat to spray over a base color.