Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
I have always sprayed furniture lacquer on cabinets
and heve read lately on other forums that some guys
are spraying auto clear urethane on wood.
Does anybody know about this? Can I use my "car" clear
on wood? I have a lacquer sealer I put on first then scuff
before topcoating. Would this be a acceptable base
for the clear? My stain is an oil base so I don't think
I would try the clear over just that.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
I worked some years at a furniture factory that used lacquer. It makes a beautiful finish that is easily scratched, easily damaged by heat, easily damaged by moisture but can match the appearance of the old shellac finishes while fitting the operations of a production line much better. I've never used it on anything I've built.

Polyurethanes are much tougher. You can find polyurethane finishes on wood in large public buildings. They withstand heavy traffic, even on floors. Look for those suitable for marine use or "spar" polyurethane "varnish" (they're not really a varnish, but old terms die hard).

I have no idea about the adhesion of automotive clear coat to a polyurethane wood finish. My guess is that it would do fine if provided with a little tooth (scuff the wood finish). You would need to test to see if there would be any bleed-through. You might need to thin the wood finish with the same reducer used for your clear coat to keep them compatible. I always apply at least a couple of sealer coats of thinned (3:1 and 2:1) polyurethane wood finish before a final, unthinned coat.

Since you've sprayed cabinets, you already know to allow for the expansion and contraction of wood. The metal of a car has to expand and contract with the extremes in temperature a car faces, so my guess is that the automotive clear coat already handles movement well,

You can get polyurethane wood finishes in colored or clear and matte, satin, semi-gloss or glossy finish. You can add stains to them.