Urgent paint question - painting tomorrow!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Urgent paint question - painting tomorrow!!

I hope someone can answer this tonight: I've stripped an axle housing and will shoot it tomorrow with PPG DP 90LF. I wiped it down today thoroughly with Kano Exo-Rust...which is phosphoric type acid. The directions do not say anything about rinsing it off. It became kind of tacky so I took a water soaked towel and wiped her down and then dried. Then this golden colored stuff started to pop up everywhere, along with a white pasty film, I assume its was a flash rust so I re-wiped it with the Kano metal prep and left it as such. Do I need to rinse this off before shooting my epoxy primer? Its a little tacky again but the golden stuff is gone. It literately turned golden within a minute or two of drying with a clean towel.
Thanks,
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I've never used that product but your metal for epoxy should be just good clean metal. Then clean with wax and grease remover, wipe real good with a clean dry lint free rag and shoot with epoxy. The best base you can get. Leave all that other hockus- pockus stuff out of it. If it where me I would clean that stuff off rescuff sand and wash super good with wax and grease and go from there.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

SWValcon is giving you good advice. If there is any acid left on the surface the epoxy will not adhere. Clean it well, with wax and grease remover before you paint it. IT MUST BE CLEAN!

John L
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

good advice. I'd also go back over it with a da, mini da, hand. Just for a good bite and to make sure all that acid is off of there.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Well, its bit more complicated than that. The axle housing was heavily rusted with quite a bit of pitting on the cast center section. I had it sand blasted but the rough cast still retained a lot of rust in the pits so this is why I used an acid rust dissolver. So the pits of course have acid in them. I've read that acetone will neutralize the the acid. So I will wash her down with that unless someone has another suggestion.
Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 AM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

One of the best washes is plain old water and dawn dish washer soap. Just be sure to rinse good and wipe and blow completely dry.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Soap & water to clean bare metal ????? What do the directions say on how to use this product ?
This is exactly what happens when you rinse acid with water, youve been givin bad advice on how to use acid to remove rust ..first you let it dry 24 hrs and water dosent neautralize it...I dont know about the product your using so I cant advise you on what to do but with the product I use all I would do is a second application with a scuff pad scrubbing out the golden stuff because I believe the golden stuff to be surface rust, something thats sure to happen any time you involve water with cleaning bare metal..read the directions and follow them or pick up some ospho, something thats sure to remove rust and work well with epoxy ...When it drys you just scuff it up real well and clean with W&G remover and prime...I use it all the time with no problems... but getting all the rust gone first is the key otherwise your just encapsulating the rust with epoxy and its sure to bubble up and come back.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

if it has heavy pitting I wouldn't use epoxy, I would use an encapsulator. Epoxy is best with CLEAN metal, and if it's pitted it should be at the point where getting it blasted cleans out the pitting well, if not than I wouldn't JUST epoxy it. Just my two cents, but this is the industry standard of thought on when not to epoxy.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

The blaster was not as aggressive as I had asked for. So there were pits with rust in them still. Not a tremendous amount...mostly on the cast center section. I decided to remove the remaining rust with the phosphoric acid treatment (Exorust). The label only states "treated surface will need to be coated" period. Noting about washing or cleaning for prime/paint. So I called Krano back east but it was Friday and they were closed for the weekend. To remove the golden stuff popping up after rinsing with water (rust I'm sure) I just wiped it down quickly with more acid. It literally wiped the rust off. I came across some info that states Acetone will neutralize phosphoric acid so I washed her down with Acetone, let it dry and shot her. Looks great. We'll find out how well the acid worked I suppose.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.