US General tool box question - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1961
Does anyone have a US General roll around tool box with a ball bearing drawer slides? What are your opinions of it? I'm thinking of getting one
I looked it over real well and for 800.00 its looks dang good,I plan on buying one.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I had one and sold it two years ago although it worked fine.Started to loose room for my tools,I added on.Had a Craftsman,took a dump a while back.Currently have a 2 year old Snap On in it's place,came from my work place which I bought a new Mac toolbox.You get what you pay for.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I looked it over real well and for 800.00 its looks dang good,I plan on buying one.
You mean the new 56" 11-Drawer Unit? It seems like a very good box for the money, but I think would wait until it drops to $600-700.

A lot of people really like these HF boxes. See what people say in this thread.

Harbor Freight Tool Chest?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsautoadvice
You mean the new 56" 11-Drawer Unit? It seems like a very good box for the money, but I think would wait until it drops to $600-700.

A lot of people really like these HF boxes. See what people say in this thread.

Harbor Freight Tool Chest?
Yeah ,the BIG one.Just the bottom roll around... I have a 20% coupon ,that should work out nicely.The13 drawer looks fairly nice too for the price 369.99 it also looks like a good deal...
I paid 800 for my used snapon bottom and 600 for the top ,this HF Box has about twice the room.I also bought the black Kobolt box from Lowes a few years ago thats held up very well Ibut the auto locks that keep the drawers closed are a little too cheap but they have ball bearing slides so you can load the draws up and they open and close real ez almost too ez.......You ever close a drawer to fast and have it bounce back and start a chain reaction opening the drawers untill they're ALL open ???? The whole box falls over (happened with my Snap on) The drawers dont automaticly lock when they are closed.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I have a 20% coupon ,that should work out nicely.The13 drawer looks fairly nice too for the price 369.99
I don't think HF will let you use that 20% off coupon. You could try though.

HF New 20% Off Coupon Restrictions

You should be able to find a coupon for the 13-Drawer unit for $349.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

I know my pops just bought 2 of the 3 tier ones that were on sale for $160 or so (With the coupon!). You can't go wrong with those!!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

Do you know what store your dad went to Johnny?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Amherst I believe.. But these weren't the roller drawer ones I don't think. But still, you DEFINITELY can't beat them for the price!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 AM

The cheap boxes make great bolt & fastener bins
Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

Just bought one the other day. So far, I love it. Got mine at Harbor Freight (harborfreight.com) and the user reviews were very positive and helpful. It's very sturdy and rolls easily. The drawers work well. The paint scratches reletively easy because it was sprayed instead of dipped or powder coated. Having to slide the drawer lock sideways everytime you want to open a drawer is a bit of a nuisance. I do like the heavy duty casters. All of them swivel and two of them have foot brakes. The push handle is very sturdy. Overall it's a great value. Got mine for $170 with a coupon during a special 4 day sale. If you have any specific questions about it, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollcart 002.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	53873  
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM
boatbob2

Tool boxes info.......

Hi,i have the HF tool box also,love it,BUT,(no fault of the box) i have the box in a metal garage,i noticed that my tools were wet in the mornings so I took a drop light,with a 100 watt bulb,put it into the bottom drawer,I leave it on all nite , it keeps all my tools nice and dry.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:23 AM

Last photo:

RE:US General tool box question

I have also had mine for 4 years, and I am very happy using it. It is well loaded with tools and works good. I got toolbox from Toolbox Warehouse. Try it.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastric
Just bought one the other day. So far, I love it. Got mine at Harbor Freight (harborfreight.com) and the user reviews were very positive and helpful. It's very sturdy and rolls easily. The drawers work well. The paint scratches reletively easy because it was sprayed instead of dipped or powder coated. Having to slide the drawer lock sideways everytime you want to open a drawer is a bit of a nuisance. I do like the heavy duty casters. All of them swivel and two of them have foot brakes. The push handle is very sturdy. Overall it's a great value. Got mine for $170 with a coupon during a special 4 day sale. If you have any specific questions about it, let me know.
Ahh, that's a different one then the one I was talking about.

I bought a couple of these ones http://www.harborfreight.com/11-draw...net-67421.html when they were $140 or so.. Still haven't taken them out of the boxes yet though.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I work at a shop where I'm the only tech with less than 25 years experience. The guy with the 20k matco toolbox regrets his purchases. He even has a snap on jumper box. He tells me he should have went craftsman. Some of the other guys have harbor freight tool boxes and whatever HF offers that doesn't piss them off. No da's , grinders, and never a spray gun. Punches, tape measures, and knick knacks are perfect for HF, including tool boxes. Buy a good one and you're spending on it forever. Buy HF and you're done with it. The guy that has the most expensive tools in my shop regrets it. He tells me I select my tools wisely...good da's, good air tools, but cut corners when possible. Even for the good tools I got a student discount that I still use . The blue point roll around I got is now $625 but I got it for $225. I wouldn't spend a dime more.

Last edited by tech69; 07-30-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Replacement Roller Bearing Drawer Slides????

I was in Harbor Freight one day and saw the complete U.S. General roll around toolbox set up. The next day I came back and bought the whole thing. Best toolbox and accessories going! Plus you can't beat the price. I set it up at my job in a mechanical/machine shop and the gravitational pull of this thing was awesome. Everyone wanted one. That was in summer 2009. since then I've had to move it (relocate it) TEN times, to ten different job sites. Moving the U.S. General is tough on it and it's a lot of work. My advise is to not take short cuts when and if you have to relocate it and here's why. The roller bearings in the drawers are tough and all, but it is easy to damage them if you take the draws out and then try and put them back in without emptying them first. Also, the drawers for each attachment of the whole collection of tool boxes are NOT interchangeable with each other. If you take a drawer out, make sure it goes back into the same tool box... If you get the drawers mixed up and just put drawers in wherever, you WILL damage them. I couldn't figure out why some of the drawers were not sliding correctly, so I applied extra pressure to get them to go. Big mistake! Those bearings work great if you're careful and match the right drawers with the right boxes. But if you don't the bearings get damaged easy and then the drawers don't slide very well and in some cases it will cause the box not to lock properly because the locking mechcanisim on the back of the drawers may be bent out of shape. That's what happened to me. I got in a hurry and damaged several of the drawers by forcing them into the wrong slots. I was able to do some repairs to it after I realized what was wrong; however, I now have 10 roller bearing drawer slides that need replaced. They're riveted on the inside of the boxes and they support the drawers. But I haven't been able to locate any replace parts for the U.S. General boxes.... Does anyone know where to get a parts list?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.