US General tool box question - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have a U.S. General Toolbox

I bought a U.S. General tool box from Harbor Freight a few months ago and I'm very satisfied considering the price. The box I bought is black, has a flat lid that swings open, two half-width drawers, two full-width drawers, and a large open space at the bottom above a tray with four sides. I'd like to remove the rods that lock the slide out drawers in place when the lid is closed so I can access the drawers, but this tool box doesn't appear to have little spring clips in the drawer supports like say a Craftsman toolbox. Does anybody know if the drawers can be removed from a U.S. General tool box without resorting to drilling out rivets, etc?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

Rumor around the water cooler is......

I'm told that the builder/supplier of US General boxes is the builder/supplier for snap-on's boxes. A friend and I have done a side by side comparison and have found it to be visually the same. He bought the US General in red, put a Snap on sticker on the box and ta da.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:26 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Off to the flea market .........or Ebay.....I'll sell my Snap on emblems....100.00 ??????????
Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petematthews
I'm told that the builder/supplier of US General boxes is the builder/supplier for snap-on's boxes. A friend and I have done a side by side comparison and have found it to be visually the same. He bought the US General in red, put a Snap on sticker on the box and ta da.

I believe this because I have seen several of HF's higher end items that were nothing more than popular brands that have been re-badged. Most notably is the really nice Belaire compressors that are sold at a significant discount under the U.S. General brand name, likewise their heavy shop equipment such as machine shop lathes/mills are the same ones sold by other well known names such as Jet.

This is NOT to say all HF stuff fits this description however and anyone shopping there needs to be well aware of the fact that while there are some bargains to found there is a heck of a lot of real junk there there too!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 AM

US General roller cabinet

I just got one of these...the 11 drawer 56" wide. This is for home use, and we are very happy with it so far. Actually, my wife insisted on this big one. It is used for a combination of tool storage, and other general purpose storage and really helped us both get organized!

In answer to one previous question, the drawers are very easily removed. Pull it out all the way. In the middle of each rail is a black plastic release lever. You press DOWN on the right side rails, and UP on the left side rails. On the drawers with two rails, this is easier if you use two people!

One question: I have one rail on a top drawer that is acting a little flaky....does anyone know if the roller rails are standard parts which might be available anywhere for sale if it goes bad?

By the way, I paid $749 at HF. I showed my wife ads for a Craftsman at about $1800 and a Snap-on at $4300. Needless to say I am some kind of shopping hero right now!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 AM

I got the 41" bottom and top boxes. They are absolutely GREAT! You can get deep drawers for the 41" for almost nothing if you need another deep drawer. The slides are mounted so you can remove 2 shallow drawers and replace them with one deep drawer.

One complaint from full-time mechanics is the wrinkle finish - it catches grease & dirt - harder to keep clean than a smooth finish.

I stepped up from C'man 26" boxes and can't afford Snappys. These boxes are great!

49T&C
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

I'm glad you all posted, I have the 580 lb Four Drawer Roller Cart and love it. The only problem I have with it, the drawers lock when the lid is closed and I often use the lid as a worktable and find myself tilting the lid open to access a drawer and having parts fall off the lid. Pisses me off but it is my fault, I have a work table opposite the tool box wall that I should be working on. The casters are heavy and the steel is thick, I give it two thumbs up easily. Also, I got mine for $100 from HF, it was the display model. They had sold out during a tent sale and I asked the manager to sell me the display model, it was already set up too!

I guess when I get another box, I may look into the HF large boxes. Here is my cart, excuse the mess.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.