US General tool box question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 07:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

US General tool box question

Does anyone have a US General roll around tool box with a ball bearing drawer slides? What are your opinions of it? I'm thinking of getting one

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 10:30 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

mmmmmm...looks like it is not a popular brand by the response you got. But hey if it works for you and the price is right........
Old 06-12-2006, 04:14 PM

i have a us general, i bought from harbor freight, its the big roll around, with the roller bearing drawers, it is the best money ive ever spent, its a whole lot cheaper than some of the top name brands, and works really well, mine is loaded and the drawers slide , with no problem, hope this helps, mike.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I bought one of the HF us general side cabinets to add to my roll around. I was really surprised at how well it was put together. I'm not sure I would want my friends to see me with one but they are well worth the money.
Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 06-13-2006, 06:31 AM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

us general tool box

I bought the 13 drawer bottom box and the 8 drawer top box for my home garage. They are great ,drawers work fine even when heavily loaded. These boxes are always going on sale,watch the flyers or check on line. I bought the top box 389.99 reg price on sale for 299.99 with a 20% online coupon it cost me around 239.out the door. The MAC tool man was in the shop last week and dropped off a flyer with tool boxes in it !! I dont think I am paying $14,000 for an empty tool box any time soon. The way work is around here I really dont think any other mechanics are going to either.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:08 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have not bought one, but have looked at them at the store. If I was going to buy a box for at home, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of them. I don't know how they would hold up in a shop environment, where the drawers are opened so many times a day, but they should last at home pretty good. For the money, I don't see how you could go wrong.

Even in a shop, if I was starting out, I may consider it. The difference in cost of tool boxes will buy alot of tools. In a shop, you don't make money with the box, it's the tools in it that make the money.

Look at it like a "gold plated Jug" verses a glass jar for holding change. The contents are worth the same amount, no matter what they are in.

Aaron
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 AM

the us general i have is the roller one big one, i use it every day in my shop, restoration shop, i also have a blue point cart loaded to the hilt and a matco big box cart with roller drawers loaded to the hilt , i have had the us general for about 2 years and im going to tell you there is abolutely nothing wrong with it, i open the drawers to mine a hundred times a day grabbing things, i havent had a problem yet, i think it will hold up as long as the blue point cart and the matco cart i have, mike.also it is loaded with tools and of course to the hilt!!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 AM
old dog learning new tricks

Hi everybody. I know this is an old thread, {which is appropois}, so I hope you all still visit the board. If so, how are those US General boxes holding up so far?
I have a Craftsman ball bearing chest and cabinet that I use at work as a factory maintenance mechanic. I need more space and have been pricing Craftsman intermediate chest and side cabinets. It looks like for about the same $ I can buy the US General 13 drawer roller cabinet and {2} 7 drawer end cabinets and have more space than I would with the Craftsman additions I've been considering. I can still use my Craftsman chest on top, and bring the Craftsman cabinet home where it is also needed.
If everyone here is still happy with their US General boxes, then I believe I'll go ahead and buy from Harbour Frieght. If not please post your reasons.

Thanks!!!
Mike
Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Mine is still working fine.

Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 AM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

us general tool box

I have had mine for several years,and am very happy with it. I have it in my home garage,so it doesnt see daily use,but it is pretty well loaded with tools and works fine.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:43 AM

Tool box.

I just bought a Kobalt roller tool box at a pawn shop with tools for $200.00 dollars and a Sears 10 drawer upper tool box for $35.00 dollars same pawn shop I couldn't let them go by.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:17 PM

tool box

I have had several tool boxes. The last one I bought was from Harbor Freight. The one I bought is 41" wide top and bottom and a side locker. I bought this 1 because a friend of mine has 1 he is in and out of daily for the last 6 yrs hasnt had any problems. I had got 1 from Lowes nothing but problems out of that 1.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 AM

Last photo:

I have had the 41" lower only and side cabinet for about 6 months now. Worth every penny.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Last photo:

I have the top, bottom and side cabinet and I love them. Best money I ever spent. I bought mine on sale with the 20% off coupons. Sign up for the email flyers and they send coupons all the time. I looked a Cfaftsman, Husky and Kobalt and I feel the HF boxes are heavier guage steel, better roller slides, and just built sturdier. I had to use an engine hoist to unload them and set the top chest on, they are not light! They come with precut drawer liners and keyed locks. Mine are 4 yrs old and no problems. The deep drawers have double slides. Some drawers are loaded down pretty good and still slide smooth. I lubed all my slides before I put any tools in. Definatly buy the HF boxes and buy more tools with the money you save!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM

I am an industrial mechanic I bought one to try out I was so impressed I bought 2 more one for at home and a second one for work. I have had mine for several years and they are fully loaded. I have never had any problems with them.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.