is this a usable radiator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Learning from your mistakes

Last journal entry: CS-144 alternator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

is this a usable radiator

ok, so I got this radiator that came with my truck when I bought it, its a big aluminum griffen radiator, but its designed to be used in, well I don't know what, but would probably fit a camaro or something with a short and wide radiator. I've stood it on its side and it fits perfectly in place of the old radiator on my truck, but the problem comes with the hook up. The radiator has 4 ports. 2 small ports that flow water through them, and the normal 2 large ports for flowing water, however, all of them are on the same side of the radiator. You can see where the tank is divided by a small weld bead, so the water would flow down one side to the opposite tank, turn around in there and flow back up the other side to the exit port. However, when I place it in my truck, the ports are all at the top of the radiator, so I would have to snake my lower radiator hose up to the top just to get it connected. i plan on running an electrical fan so it wouldn't be too hard, and the tube connecting the engine would be made out of steel since I know there wouldn't be a stock rubber hose close to this setup. i would use rubber hoses on the ends to make conenctions to the engine and radiator. I'm wondering if I should go this route, or sell the radiator to someone who is better suited to use it and buy a proper radiator for my truck. I live in florida, so cooling is a very serious issue.

Advertisement

Last edited by guba_unus; 07-15-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Learning from your mistakes

Last journal entry: CS-144 alternator
Last photo:

picture of radiator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0280548-r1-019-8.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2087  
Old 07-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Where is the inlet cap located? That radiator looks as if it should be installed long side horizontally. Also, the left hose connection (as you look at your picture) looks like an AN fitting. I have only seen that setup on circle track cars. I would play it safe and get a replacement designed to fit in your vehicle. If you turn one on its side, it would seem you are asking for flow problems. Good luck, Ed. www.edgesz28.com
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You have a radiator with a AN fitting for braided hose on the top and angled inlet hose for use on either crank driven water pumps or water, fuel, power steering all in one. The latter being fogged belt driven. This radiator also has a internal heat exchanger such for use with dry sump systems and external cooling lines. It's a very expensive piece. Do you know what the fin count per inch is and it's thickness in cores. Looks to be a four core with one inch tubes and around 14 to 18 fins per inch. A four core rad. may not work well in a street car because of the pressure build up of air in front of the Rad.. The thicker the rad is the harder for air to pass though it and cooling issues can result. If it doesn't cool well for you sell it for an easy $250 and get a new one.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:37 AM

griffin radiator

i would sell that thing to the first person that would take it.you can buy one just like it 31"x19" with 2 ,1"cores.it won't have a drain in the bottom but you can do with out that for $179.00.if you don't have any cooling problems you can just get the one that fits your vehiclei have the one above and 16"x27 1/2" and they are both the same price at jegs.i don't no how they charge for shipping or even if they do ,i get mine at one of their stores in columbus.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.