Use of 8 volt battery on 6 volt car! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Use of 8 volt battery on 6 volt car!

Hi.Probably not many i nterested in this any more!Have 47 Lincoln just want little more omph for the starter and lights etc.Problem the OD solenoid doresn't change over to 12 volts or could go that route but is lot of hassle.Seems the 8 volt would give little more boost without doing the change over and would think most things could stand the extra 2 volts??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

You have several options here.

First is to check that the battery cables are correct for your present 6 volt system. They should be much larger diameter than what you find in the auto parts stores. Most of the battery cables currently stocked in the auto parts stores are designed for 12 volts and are smaller in diameter and will not carry the higher amp loads that the 6 volt system draws.

Switch to 12 volts. The original wiring will handle the 12 volts fine. Voltage drops will have to be used on the OD solenoid, heater motor, radio and possibly some of the gauges (Fuel). The 6 volt starter will work OK as it will only be getting the 12 volts for short periods of time. I think Speedway offers a 12 volt starter that might fit the Lincoln engine. All bulbs will have to be changed to the 12 volt equivalent. A 12 volt alternator can be installed for the charging circuit.

Use the 8 volt battery. It is more of a stop gap fix and has been done before. Keeping it charged may be a problem for the 6 volt system. Bulbs may burn out quickly. Gauges may not read correctly. OD solenoid may burn out quickly.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:00 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

voltage reg

the old voltage regulators could be adjusted by bending the contact arms.. or turning adjustment screws . you might have to tweek it to let the genatator get up to 9 volts or so to charge the battery
Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Actually, using an 8 bolt battery in a 6 volt system is pretty common with antique tractors. There are usually no ill effects.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, using an 8 bolt battery in a 6 volt system is pretty common with antique tractors. There are usually no ill effects.
Yes...but living on as farm as I do...I have used 8 volt batteries many times and to tell the truth...I cannot tell that much difference between them and the 6 volt. The best thing to do is to switch it over to 12 volts.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Just a thought , if my memory serves me correctly I don't know about 1947 O.D units but post 1949 O.D.s don't have an electrical connection to the battery system of the car . There is a generator driven by the output shaft of the transmission . When the car is above a certain speed there will be sufficient voltage to activate the solenoid .
Old 04-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

overdrive system

I have and overdrive on the packard trans in my T buckket and one in the 48 Nash As i recall the wiring there is a governor that closes the contacts above a certain speed to send power to the shifting solenoid.. when you are above the govenor speed you just let up on the gas and the solenoid can shift into OD gear....to shift down you push the gas pedal to the floor and there is a switch that cuts off power to the solenoid and grounds out the ignition coil so the engine is killed for a second... that releases the torque on the shift solenoid so the spring can shift it out of Od and the engine gets spark and keeps running. I used to just wire up a switch to the shifter solenoid and not use the govenor. and shift it with the switch like the 2 speed rear ends on our farm trucks. My 58 Ford fairlane and the 65 Ford pickup had the above system .. there was a pull handle for a cable that would shift the slider in the trans to lock iit up like a regular three speed. the overdrives could coast with no engine braking if the handle was pushed in and the engine dies or you lose solenoid power... tthe Govt safety regs made the freewheeling Od trans illegal to manufacture after about 80 if I remember correctly

Last edited by timothale; 04-06-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 AM

I have an all original 1933 chevy that I have had an 8 volt battery in for the past 9 years. This is the best thing I ever did to the car. The extra 2 volts really makes it crank over better and I didn't have to do anything to the generator or generator cutout since the original generator was putting out about 8.2 volts anyways. Yes the light bulbs burn out a little quicker, but then again this car did not have good lights to begin with and the brighter lighting is a bonus. No problems with gauges on the older cars since they are all mechanically driven, except the back lighting.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vila
I have an all original 1933 chevy that I have had an 8 volt battery in for the past 9 years. This is the best thing I ever did to the car. The extra 2 volts really makes it crank over better and I didn't have to do anything to the generator or generator cutout since the original generator was putting out about 8.2 volts anyways. Yes the light bulbs burn out a little quicker, but then again this car did not have good lights to begin with and the brighter lighting is a bonus. No problems with gauges on the older cars since they are all mechanically driven, except the back lighting.

Congrats on keeping the 33 stock, I'll bet it is a blast around town. I am jealous I like rods, stockers, whatever..

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.