Hot Rod Forum banner

Use of 8 volt battery on 6 volt car!

24K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  F&J 
#1 ·
Hi.Probably not many i nterested in this any more!Have 47 Lincoln just want little more omph for the starter and lights etc.Problem the OD solenoid doresn't change over to 12 volts or could go that route but is lot of hassle.Seems the 8 volt would give little more boost without doing the change over and would think most things could stand the extra 2 volts??

#2 ·
You have several options here.

First is to check that the battery cables are correct for your present 6 volt system. They should be much larger diameter than what you find in the auto parts stores. Most of the battery cables currently stocked in the auto parts stores are designed for 12 volts and are smaller in diameter and will not carry the higher amp loads that the 6 volt system draws.

Switch to 12 volts. The original wiring will handle the 12 volts fine. Voltage drops will have to be used on the OD solenoid, heater motor, radio and possibly some of the gauges (Fuel). The 6 volt starter will work OK as it will only be getting the 12 volts for short periods of time. I think Speedway offers a 12 volt starter that might fit the Lincoln engine. All bulbs will have to be changed to the 12 volt equivalent. A 12 volt alternator can be installed for the charging circuit.

Use the 8 volt battery. It is more of a stop gap fix and has been done before. Keeping it charged may be a problem for the 6 volt system. Bulbs may burn out quickly. Gauges may not read correctly. OD solenoid may burn out quickly.

#5 ·
joe_padavano said:
Actually, using an 8 bolt battery in a 6 volt system is pretty common with antique tractors. There are usually no ill effects.
Yes...but living on as farm as I do...I have used 8 volt batteries many times and to tell the truth...I cannot tell that much difference between them and the 6 volt. The best thing to do is to switch it over to 12 volts.

#6 ·
Just a thought , if my memory serves me correctly I don't know about 1947 O.D units but post 1949 O.D.s don't have an electrical connection to the battery system of the car . There is a generator driven by the output shaft of the transmission . When the car is above a certain speed there will be sufficient voltage to activate the solenoid .

#7 · (Edited)
overdrive system

I have and overdrive on the packard trans in my T buckket and one in the 48 Nash As i recall the wiring there is a governor that closes the contacts above a certain speed to send power to the shifting solenoid.. when you are above the govenor speed you just let up on the gas and the solenoid can shift into OD gear....to shift down you push the gas pedal to the floor and there is a switch that cuts off power to the solenoid and grounds out the ignition coil so the engine is killed for a second... that releases the torque on the shift solenoid so the spring can shift it out of Od and the engine gets spark and keeps running. I used to just wire up a switch to the shifter solenoid and not use the govenor. and shift it with the switch like the 2 speed rear ends on our farm trucks. My 58 Ford fairlane and the 65 Ford pickup had the above system .. there was a pull handle for a cable that would shift the slider in the trans to lock iit up like a regular three speed. the overdrives could coast with no engine braking if the handle was pushed in and the engine dies or you lose solenoid power... tthe Govt safety regs made the freewheeling Od trans illegal to manufacture after about 80 if I remember correctly

#8 ·
I have an all original 1933 chevy that I have had an 8 volt battery in for the past 9 years. This is the best thing I ever did to the car. The extra 2 volts really makes it crank over better and I didn't have to do anything to the generator or generator cutout since the original generator was putting out about 8.2 volts anyways. Yes the light bulbs burn out a little quicker, but then again this car did not have good lights to begin with and the brighter lighting is a bonus. No problems with gauges on the older cars since they are all mechanically driven, except the back lighting.

#9 ·
Vila said:
I have an all original 1933 chevy that I have had an 8 volt battery in for the past 9 years. This is the best thing I ever did to the car. The extra 2 volts really makes it crank over better and I didn't have to do anything to the generator or generator cutout since the original generator was putting out about 8.2 volts anyways. Yes the light bulbs burn out a little quicker, but then again this car did not have good lights to begin with and the brighter lighting is a bonus. No problems with gauges on the older cars since they are all mechanically driven, except the back lighting.

Congrats on keeping the 33 stock, I'll bet it is a blast around town. I am jealous :D I like rods, stockers, whatever.. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.