Use hydraulic oil in trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Use hydraulic oil in trans

I was over at a hotrod shop on the otherside of town that I don't go to very often. The bench discussion centered on using hydraulic oil instead of trans fuild in our car trans. Namely John Deer stuff commonly used in hydrostatic transmissions.

So how about this??.......Do I call bull or jump on the bandwagon??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 09:09 PM

what other subjects are discussed there?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Big horsepower guys use the JD oil, also use Amsoil compressor oil

You can also vary the "weight" of oil used to alter stall speed slightly. Usually heavier weight oil to reduce stall slightly.

BTW: Trans fluid is hydraulic oil with various additives depending on manufacturer. The JD stuff and Amsoil have less additives
Old 04-10-2013, 05:03 PM

I've heard this before about the hydraulic oil being used, but know one has said why they use it in place of ATF? Is there any other reason that cost?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I hate to be a guinney pig so I think I'll wait for mort info.

discussions??
It's a race shop and machine shop so funnycar stuff, machining and engineering stuff dominate. There are a couple streetrod guys that hang out there too. That's where the tran fluid discussion started.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

The JD oils and others wiil withstand higher temps and there is few if any friction modifiers added to the oil like the transmission fluid has.

We are talking high HP here. 2000 to 3500+ HP
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

your taking trans that get serviced and freshened allot..
that need to make it 1/4 mile at a time..and be dead on everytime..
I don't think I'd run it in a trans I'd want long life out of..
think about it.. the oem's would not bother with atf..
Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 AM

Last photo:

It's not something knew. Guys have done it for years and some even run it on the street. This is the stuff right here: Hy-Gard

If I remember right it comes in two weights as mentioned the heavier oil will lower stall speed. I have heard by as much as 500RPM, but not sure how accurate that is.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 AM

Last photo:

Sorry Bentwings (yes I remember you from years ago I asked about that, the corsair from WW2)

As for tranny fluid, I would never use anything but dexron dirivatives in GM transes, and type F in fords.
All tranny fluids have high detergent additives. This is so all the little valves in the valve body will not stick.
My shop did tons of auto tranny oil changes, drop the pan, replace the filter and the fluid. But of course the torque converter had lots of ATF that could not be drained (the earlier cars with autos just had a fluid couplings and drain hole plugs to change all the ATF. It was cool because you could change ALMOST all the fluid.
Valve bodies were fun to work on, getting a hard shift through the tranny would increase it's life,
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

My big Corsair was sold a few years ago. Ironically my son bought it back recently and has restored it to fly again. He hotrodded it with a GT-80 and a weight reduction of a few pounds. It should be a great flyer............................................. .................................................. ...........If the dang snow will please stop.!!!!!!!!! We can get up to 10 inches of the stuff today.

I think I'll leave the JD stuff on the farm. I'm going to change the trans fluid as soon as I can get the Willys out of my trailer. I agree that a lot of engineering goes into designing trans and I'm sure lots of testing. If it was cheaper and better to install JD fluid at the factory rather than ATF I'm sure we would have JD in trans. I'm only one engineer and don't know everything and it is hard to compete against hundreds ....even if most of them are idiots....haha

I did change the fluid on the hydraulic jack on my trailer from trans fluid to hydraulic fluid. This cured the leakage overnight and the pump runs much more quietly. I'm going to change the reservoir this year. The trailer mfg used the header for the gooseneck for a reservoir but the idiot that welded it didn't seal weld it properly and it has probably leaked from day one. 1973..what an enviornmental disaster.

Hopefully my T-350 won't fall to the "change the fluid then the trans fails" seneario.

It still has the mysterious leak problem. The best I can see is that it only leaks if someone pushes the car in shop backwards in rev or drive instead of neutral. I don't know where it leaks from. I suspect the shifter bushing and seal and possible the pan gasket....but it has leaked from day one.

What fluid brands are being used???

I have a variety..Penz, Valvoline, Walmart....mostly due to what was available at the time. Frankly I never noticed any difference.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

ever ry to use a hyd jack in the cold??
ever see what a skid jacks seal after someone leaves it in a freezer(30f)
maybe hys fluid in a warm climate and a trans that has no selnoids and serviced more than the nor..
but hyd fluid in a trans in cool climate is asking to break the fuild pump
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I don't Post on here much anymore (as I don't seem to elicit responses), but I would like to weigh in on this one-

I bought a Stage 4 4L80E Trans from Jake's Performance for my Car (rated at over 1000 hp), and he recommended the Deere Fluid, along with a 1/2 quart of Tranny Fluid (so you can see it on the Dipstick as it's clear)-

Being that I run a John Deere store it was an easy solution to buy, and, I will put Hygard up against any ATF style Transmission fluid anyday-if you understood how our Tranny's (and there are many versions) work in big Ag/Construction (we go from Gear/Hydraulic to IVT to Hydrostatic to Direct Drive now), they are subjected to forces you will never see in a Car/Truck-

Btw, if you choose to run it (I am), ask for Low Viscosity Hygard-that's the 10w version-

On a related subject, my Parts Manager came in and told me yesterday that a Customer had been using Deere Plus 50 II (Diesel Engine Oil) in a big Truck (that's a broad brush right there), but he sent it in after 3000 miles for Analysis, and they told him they could not find any appreciable breakdown or contamination in it, and he could just put that same Oil back in for another 6-9000 Miles-Deere builds good stuff-

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 04-11-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.