used 225 consew sewing machine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

used 225 consew sewing machine

Bought a used 225 consew sewing machine with table for $200. I want to learn how use it, but before I start I would like to do a maintenance tune-up. Where do I start? Any download manuels, parts manuel or other instructions and recommendations will very appreciated. Its fast what do I need to slow it down? I'm looking for a 206 but for now I'll work with what I got.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

All you need to do is oil it. Your best bet is to take it to a professional industrial sewing machine mechanic and have him go over it, time it, set the tensions, and check for worn parts.

It's intended to sew 3500 stitches a minute, so to slow it down you can put a smaller pulley on the motor or a bigger pulley on the machine or both. Some electric clutch motors can be reconnected to a slower speed. If your motor runs 3600 RPMs, it might be possible to cut that in half electrically.

Here is the manual for your machine: CLICK HERE

I think the only difference between the 225 and 226 is that the 225 does not have reverse, and it has a max stitch size of 3 1/2 to 4 stitches per inch and the 226 max stitch size is 5 stitches per inch. 225 was intended for sewing boat covers or tent canvas, things that don't require reverse and do require larger stitches. For auto upholstery, you'd like to have reverse. It isn't necessary, but it is more convenient.

One last thing, if you got any thread with the machine, throw it away and buy new thread.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Why throw the thread away? How much will someone charge to look and adjust the sewing machine if no parts need replacing? Thanks for the manuel. Where can I get replacement belts the current belts show cracks or should I wait till the belt breaks?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Because it would be a shame to sew a car interior and have it fall apart because you used some old bad thread. Especially if there are no labels on the tube to tell you what the thread is. You should use at least size 69 thread, either nylon or polyester, and it should be bonded thread with a left twist. Bonded means it has a lubricant built into it to let it travel through the machine easier. If the label doesn't say bonded on it, but the number is B 69 or B 92 or whatever, the "B" means it's bonded. The belt will probably last forever, but you can buy a belt at any good hardware store for about 6 bucks.

If nothing is wrong with the machine you will pay $75 to $100 to have it gone over. It will be the best money you ever spent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1172.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	59888  

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by racquetball
Why throw the thread away? How much will someone charge to look and adjust the sewing machine if no parts need replacing? Thanks for the manuel. Where can I get replacement belts the current belts show cracks or should I wait till the belt breaks?
I own this machine. You can pick a belt up on eBay. I live in NYC and have the luxury of having a real old time sewing machine parts shop over in Manhattan. I took my machine to a local sewing machine mechanic and he charged me 100 bucks to look it over, adjust it and time it - well worth the money.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.