Used car lot??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Used car lot???

I know there are many different building styles... and I am not looking to ruffle any feathers. The car ownership, and the money spent on it, give the owners the right to choose, but...

The last year or so, I can't help having the repeated thought that the shows I am attending seem to look like an old used car lot from the seventies. {:-(

Yes, it's true that they usually have custom wheels of some sort, but with a few exceptions, I find the cars boring. One color.... few body modifications.... single color paint.... no hood scoops or portruding engines... etc.

It is not every car... but the increasing majority seem to look that way. Maybe it's just a regional thing?

After following this hobby since '58... and being hands-on since '65, I expected the hobby to keep getting more exciting, and creative. {:-(

Anyone else having the same feeling of disappointment?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Up here too,

Up here in the yellowstone area mostly late 50's 60's early 70 cars something they can drive all year, When I was a kid everyone wanted a roadster, wear 2 caps, gloves, your warmest coat and drive it. I told My wife I should trade my son out of his 34 chevy pickup , My present project cars, 22 T speedster, T buckets, 32 roadster, A V8 roadster, We have been married 4 years and I Haven't taken out the glass on her T top.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

I missed making my point a little.

I meant that the cars were '70s an older... looked near original... plain paint... typical wheel style... no major visual modifications... and so on.

Things that I don't see as much any more are visual customizing like...

major body modifications... (chopped, shaved, hood scoops, engines sticking out, etc.)

giant rear tires

raked, lifted, or lowered chassis

major paint graphics

wild interiors

or anything else that makes them look like more than a "used car".
Old 07-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
I find that I will go to the Goodguys where there are thousands of cars and there are a dozen that I really want to look over. You are right, but we all have different interests. A Camaro nut will go from Camaro to Camaro and pass right by the well built 50 Stude that I stop to drool over where as I walk past every Camaro. But I do like the creations a lot better than just painted, wheels, billit hood hinges and chromed cars.

Brian
Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Bo Huff show.

Birds of a feather, stick together. MY son and I went to Bo Huff's show in eastern Utah a couple years ago, slept in the park, cook on your coleman, and there were a lot of different years and styles of cars, toured his museum, My son hung out with Jr Huff. A good show.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i am seeing some of the same...i would say they are really nice used cars..quite a few have some kind of late engine like an LS injected version with an overdrive but not too many radical cars at all..those seem to stay in the garage unless it is a special occasion..

Sam
Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I remember back in the 90's I got sick of it all because the nation went on the "one color" trip where EVERYTHING was one color, grille, bumpers, everything was one color. I went to a small car show and I said out loud and I know several heard me "This is boring. What's so special about one color? Theres no flair to one color, there's nothing outstanding or saying "look at me" no other colors to highlight things. One color makes it look like one big blob of paint since the lines aren't defined, what a joke"
When the one color fad died nobody was happier than me. But now I've noticed lately they're starting to get back into the exact same craze, with any luck it'll die out quickly.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:08 AM

Stock Merc ?

I saw a stock 49 merc with a good, new paint job and thought , that car looks funny with a bubble looking Roof. If it hasn't had at least a 2 and 3 chop it looks funny any more. .
Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have the same feelings basicly.. I would rather look at cars that have at least some modifications done on them,,
but I also think cost is a major obsticle with the building of a car these days, the majority of owners don't have the faintest idea on how chop a top, install air bags, or do much of anything other than a decent ( sometimes) cheap macco spray job,, some K mart wheels, and drive it,,
years ago,, a nice custom, or hot rod was the twinkle in most kids eyes, and the old hot rods and customs are those cars you see these days, I hardly ever see a fresh built custom anymore,, usually they are from the old days,, and have been reserected by someone,, usually a old timer that really appreciates them.
Life has become way more expensive to raise a family, so our toys take a rear seat to the more important things in life,, ( of course that important item, is usually a very different thing to us than a to the women of the house,,)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:19 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

Its like that hear in Florida too jay. Its mostly one color paint jobs, no performance mods and 95% of the cars are trailered to shows. Even at the small shows all of the cars are garage queens! Every once in awhile you may get a really cool car, thats driven and modified but most of them are stock classics.
I thought it was just here in Florida due to the old people, but it may be all over.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat View Post
I have the same feelings basicly.. I would rather look at cars that have at least some modifications done on them, but I also think cost is a major obsticle with the building of a car these days

Life has become way more expensive to raise a family, so our toys take a rear seat to the more important things in life,, ( of course that important item, is usually a very different thing to us than a to the women of the house,,)

I know cost can be a problem, and always has been for many of those still raising kids.

I have always been a do-it-yourselfer, so to me, the addition of a bolt-on hood scoop... a simple stripe painted on the car... or maybe raise or lower one end a little, does not require a lot of money....but I am not even seeing those "cheap tricks", that would give the car a look of "individuality".

For me and many of my life-long friends, customizing was always part of the build! I personally can not understand the excitement of a car that is hardly even noticeable. If it looked generic, we would not stop until it had something to make it unique and eye-catching. {:-(
Old 07-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,083 Posts
All good valid points above. I find that my tastes have change though. I appreciate a good straight well done car now days that I would have wanted to customize 25 years ago. When I started my roadster I intended to make a 50's custom out of it. What it ended up being is a very traditional car. Even though I have been a die hard custom car guy for ever it is hard to modify a rare and unique muscle car or good classic. I guess I just love them all. What I do look for is quality workmanship........ And DON'T PAINT THE CHROME.

John L
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Variety is one thing I really like about rat rods. One of the best shows around here is a spring rat rod show in Austin, TX. The cars are driven from all over the state. They have a lot of inventive, unique designs and combinations of parts. Yes, they may be rusty and lack paint, but they are on the road. One year, the show was preceded by a driving thunderstorm on Friday night. Still the cars came - no windows, no top, no fenders, no hood didn't matter.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Custom body mods............Big tires????.....Loud exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I went to the Right Coast show a couple weeks ago at Syracuse, NY. Jay has seen my comments and photos elsewhere, but I'll post a Photobucket link here for those that care to see some of the, IMHO, nice cars there. While there was probably over 7500 cars there, a large proportion of them were the '60's to '80s grocery getters with a fresh wash and polish. In other words, not a lot of originality. In some cases, they were just nice cars, what the owner could afford and was proud to show it - I just wasn't happy with his lack of ideas - big tires with vegematic wheels some ho-hum engine compartments, etc, etc, etc.

My guess is that while there are many folks that would like to build a car, there aren't many barn finds left, other old iron is almost too rotted to work with and the steel and glass repros are well up in price. Then there is a decided lack of ability that many of us old hands think nothing about. If you were born after say 1975, you really learned your 'car fixin' by taking it to the local dealer as there for sure wasn't much you could do but change the oil and filters without a machine or a box of specialty tools. Heck, my '06 truck with a V10 baffles me when I lift the hood - and I built my '31 Ford 'A' by assembling every single part. Imagine the average 30-40 year old these days without hands on experience trying to do that.

Oh well here's the referenced Photobucket link:

Syracuse 2012 pictures by Irelandschild - Photobucket

Sorry they appear kinda dark - that's Photobucket's download, not my camera

Dave W

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.