Used P71 Crown Vic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Used P71 Crown Vic

I just sold my truck and am lookin for a new car. I found a 2003 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. It still has all the lights and everything and all the police upgrades. I figure i could sell those for some quick cash. The only problem is that it has 160,000 miles on it. It doesnt really scare me because the police departments have their own mechanics and whenever somethin is wrong, they fix it with the right parts and the right way. It has a new tranny with the warranty still on it, new brakes, new Police Eagle tires, and a bunch of other stuff. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

buy it... those cars are good for 2-300k miles, and you'll get approx 26 MPG
Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Sounds like a fun car....leave the cop stuff on it.....be a riot while the fun lasted..........
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Never seen one sell with all the lights left on it, all for the fact that some idiot would want to try and impersonate a cop. Most are usually stripped when a civilian gets them.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

Yeah i have never seen one with them left on to, but they left them on this one. It even has the radio and radar gun. Maybe its stolen? But it is a police auction.

It was a unmarked car so its got the lights behind the grille and behind the rear window. The auctions tomorrow but a friend of mine let me see it before the auction even opens. He said if you want it, i can get them to just sell it to you and not go in the auction so i guess i'm gonna get it.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM

Cop car

I know around here they would bust your chops BAD for having a set of Blue Lights ANYWHERE on your car.
I have a blue strobe from back up north from the Vol. Fireman days and you are not allowed to even have it in the car!
Here is the other deal....Cop cars, Ambulances, and most vehicles from Alaska all have one thing in common.
No matter what the odometer says....the engines have THOUSANDS of hours of idle time on them.
They sit in speed traps, at accident scenes etc.....always running to keep the lights and radios powered up, and the car ready to respond. Besides Cops like their temperature controled spaces and keep the A/C running a LOT.
It may be a CHEAP deal.....and a NOVEL deal.....but it's still a worn out car.
We have a cab company here that gets the old cop cars and turns them into cabs, but they are clunkers, and half the fleet is in the shop most of the time.
JIMO
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

I'm not too worried about that because if i need to, i can rebuild the engine. Its already got a new tranny and a bunch of other stuff. Plus my buddy who works for the department said it was a take home car so they take care of them a lot better. And like i said before, if something is wrong with it, they fix them with the right parts and the right way because they cant afford to have them break down while on the job. I'm not sayin that its not takin a risk but it will suit me fine. Besides its just a winter rat for me because in the summer i have my 87 MCSS.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM

They make good dependable cars,that can last a long time. I wouldnt call it a wrn out car. I used to be a taxicab driver,and most of the cars came from the police depts. Thems cars were far from being worn out. They would run them cars 24hrs a day with all kinds of abusive taxi drivers. A car like that in private ownership should perform like a champ,buy it.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you can buy these cars off of Ebay for $1,500-$2,500 all day long, and in good shape ( all lights, radio ect... gone tho )...

even if you had the lights remaining, it is illegal to have them period.. turning them on would be impersonating a cop, which I know will get you in trouble ( might even be a felony )
Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

old cop cars

a few years ago the kids across the street bought an old highway patrol dodge. it still had the front push bar...cars would move over when they say them in the rear view mirror. My son's buddy in Calif was a tow truck driver and bought a black and white crown vic. the cops impounded it for a while ///said because it was still a black and white he was impersonating a police officer. It took a month to get it back
Old 09-27-2008, 04:41 AM

Last photo:

First hand experience driving a black & white for 33 yrs. The best ALL AROUND Police veh. I ever drove was the '96 9C1 Caprice, 260 hp, good acceleration and brakes, handled GREAT at high speed, wasn't the fastest I ever drove....but it did have a problem...I went through 3 transmissions in that one car just doing the normal patrol driving, which granted was spirited but I wasn't abusing it either.

I really hated to see it go because I knew we were getting '97 Crown Vic's and that was like trading in your Mustang GT for a Yugo. All I can say is that they were reliable and the A/C worked nicely.

I retired in May '03 but we got new '03 Crown Vic's in Oct. '02, now they were MUCH better than the '97/'98, They even looked a lot nicer, and were faster but the 4 wheel disc brakes were marginal for Police work ( I found that out in my last pursuit....scary!!) If the unit you're looking at is unmarked then it probably wasn't run off curbs and through ditches as much as a regular patrol unit. If it was a take home car then it was driven by one Officer for a long time and was most likely taken better care of.

I can't believe that they would sell it with the equipment left on it, specially the radar....very expensive stuff and absolutely no use to you. All of our units were stripped to the bone and the good equipment was used on the new unit. Good luck with the auction......Dave

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.