Used up GM 10 bolt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Used up GM 10 bolt

I think this diff has seen better days. Its been sitting for years, and since re installing (condition unknown) it has begun leaking badly at the pinion. (back end is jacked up higher than the front) Figuring it was tired, I started looking for play...the pinion is easily rocked on its axis as are the wheels to the point where there is an audible click and visible play.

I'm guessing a total rebuild is in order...what else should I be checking for??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Which 10 bolt is it? The 8.5 10 bolt is a good rear end and worth a rebuild. If it's the 8.2 or 7.5 then you might want to think about getting a better rear end to invest in.

An installation kit is the best way to go when rebuilding a rear end. It will come with all of the bearings, crush spacer, pinion nut, shims, gasket, seal and other parts needed for the rebuild. You will also want a set of axle bearigns and seals. Check the axles for wear or rust where the bearings run on them. If you see any of these signs then they need to be repalced.

When you get a installation kit be sure that you get a good one. There is a bunch of junk out there and the good instalaltion kits will cost a little bit more. I've used them all and hae some favorites and some that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:08 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

there is always some free slop in the pinion

it is the backlash of the gears

has to have some

click is the gear teeth intermeshing

how much free rotation are we talking ?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:36 PM

thanks guys.

Big; When you refer to 8.5, is that the diameter of the big ring gear?

Fast68; The slop is terrible....to the point like it feels as if it isnt even bolted on.

the wheels, maybe a clunk is more like it. I can lift up on a tire and see it move. These bearings must be half gone.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

Yes, that's the ring gear diameter. GM made a 8.2 10 bolt from '64 to '72, a 8.5 from '71 to present (now the 8.6), and the 7.5 from '78 to somewhere in the early 2000s. The 8.5 is the only one that is really strong enough to bother with, and it needs a few modificcations to make it strong. If this rear end is special for something that you have then rebuilding it would be worth while.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head
Yes, that's the ring gear diameter. GM made a 8.2 10 bolt from '64 to '72, a 8.5 from '71 to present (now the 8.6), and the 7.5 from '78 to somewhere in the early 2000s. The 8.5 is the only one that is really strong enough to bother with, and it needs a few modificcations to make it strong. If this rear end is special for something that you have then rebuilding it would be worth while.
Thanks, looking at a differential ID guide, its either an 8.2 or 8.5, but since you added the date, I must conclude its and 8.5. (It in an 87 1/2 ton GM PU) According to a haynes manual, it is a locking diff, though I'm unsure if that equates to a posi or limited slip?. Found out the pinion is slopping on the shaft as if the nut was loose. I'll be looking into this a little closer....doesn't look good. I'm hoping its a rebuild candidate...3:08s in it now, like to go steeper
Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

The locking differential in the trucks is the Governor Lock. It's a pretty good differential for a stock truck, but you don't want to abuse it much. They tend to break.

The '87 truck rear end will be the 8.5 with 28 spline axles. This is a good rear end and can be built strong. When I build them I usually upgrade them with a 30 spline Eaton Posi and 30 spline Moser axles. This puts them up close to the strength of a 12 bolt.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 PM

Hey, thanks again Big Gear...Which installation kits would you recommend? I'll likely freshen this axle up (if the shafts are still ok) for now with a kit and new bearings & seals, then the Eaton / Moser stuff as I can afford it. (winter builds). This axle isnt for or out of something special...my wallet can't budge on a 12 bolt (that likely needs a rebuild anyway) right now.

Where would good sources of the components be...PAW, Jegs etc??
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 AM

Last photo:

The best installation kits are from DTS, Tom's Differentials, Dewco and Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Ratech, Summit, Jeg's and others are junk.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.