useing a holley pro-jection on a blower - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 08:39 PM

Last journal entry: 1956 buick special
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

useing a holley pro-jection on a blower

I have a 2nd gen holley 900cfm 4 bl pro-jection it has an adjust able ecu "6 dials" the injection system is in a open loop,but I have a holley kit to make it a closed loop system,now for my problem, I have a b&m powercharger minny blower I want to use, the tech guys at holley in the blower dept say it should be no problem running the tbi because is not a blow through system,but the carb/injection guys at holley say I need a map sensor and or a mass air flow sensor so the injectors know to add more fuel on a boost situation and dont lean out,I run 23# of fuel pressure,they say that I must have 3# of pressure for every # of boost,I run 6# so thats 18#pressure and Iam set at 23# 5 over.my delema,does any one know if I can ad a map or mass air sensor to splice into and feed info to my ecu?does any one know anyone running a pro-jection on a blower? thanks for your time...jake

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2004, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Jake,
It should be possible but, I dopn't know the answer to your question. I can't think of anyone off hand that runs a set up like that. The guys at Holley should be able to answer that question (mass air flow). Have you asked them if they make or sell a MAF sensor for that injection?

What about using a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator?

Royce
Old 05-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Boost referenced FPR will not do the trick. You would have to run a FMU(fuel management unit) that raises pressure exponentially with boost. They are dangerous in my opinion since fuel pressure can get very high. Plus with disk type injectors they will not work since the injectors will stop firing if pressure is too high.

The best thing to do is look into getting an ECU that can be properly tuned to work with the TBI unit with upgraded injectors and that will run off of speed density(MAP,MAT calcs.) If your ECU can be upgraded you should be fine if it can be tuned for larger injectors.

I think you had another post on this where I got the impression you were doing blow through.......maybe my post just did not make it to this one. Oh well. Let me know if you have any more specific questions. I have been dealing with a custom EFI on my truck so it is all fresh on my mind

Chris
Old 05-17-2004, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

I am not a fuel injection guru, so I would take Chis' advice, he has played with it in a forced induction application., I haven't. I was just kind of thinking out loud.

Royce
Old 05-18-2004, 02:49 AM

Last photo:

custom efi

thanks for your input.I think my problem after talking with you and a few personal messages is that I have an out dated ecm and I should keep my pro-jection but add a map sensor and a new ecu"controler" which brings up a few dyi controlers ,so far the MEGASQURIT seems to be the best cantadate,but I am still looking.any opinions out there?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

the megasquirt and its spinn-offs have integral mapsensor, so it should be prety easy to do... just spend the 100 bucks on the kit and you are motoring... :-)
Old 05-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by deuce_454
the megasquirt and its spinn-offs have integral mapsensor, so it should be prety easy to do... just spend the 100 bucks on the kit and you are motoring... :-)
The ms is okay, but I would really look into something that has tunable timing. If you go with ms and the timing hack you will have to give up idle control. The genboard will do all of it for you, but will cost you a few more bucks. But, you are getting a much higher quality controller.

Chris
Old 05-25-2004, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

genboard?controler?

I saw a link someware on this board and it seems to me it was a hard web site to navigate and I didnt see were they sell it.is the genboard a kit also?Iam not much into the guts of a computor,as you can see from the "glassratt journal" Iam into the mechanical side of things,but Iam always up for a challenge.were do I go?and of course how mush?couldnt I just run the megasquirt with a mallory boost timing retard/advance?it would seem functionable and better than what I have now.isnt megasquirt and genboard related somehow?...later jake
Old 05-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

www.vems-group.org

I would definately rate the genboard as a more difficult controller to learn because of the greater tunability and more features. If you look at the genboard info pages there is a link to the store. You can buy them from an assembled board only to a complete board in an enclosure, with connectors, and minimal testing to insure operation.

The genboard started life as what was called MegasquirtAVR. It soon started evolved into a completely different animal and the firmware and hardware have become something totally different. The only thing inherant from ms is the tuning software which is still compatible, but only can tune about 25% of the variables. It is pretty much worthless and the developers are in the process of building a new software interface. The cool thing is that the genboard is actually tunable with multiple other programs and keyboard/LCD interface. The laptop software is just "prettier"

Chris
Old 05-25-2004, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

thanks for al the background info!

thanks again,I tried to link up I got the web site but got a dns server fault when I tried to go to the store,system must be down?I have till next year to finish this project, but done sooner the better,but I dont want to be in a rush,Iam just checking out my options.this "tow" rig should realy boogie when all is said is done,Iam guessing it is pushing 425 to 525hp and with the blower it should be another 100hp on top,when completed theres a shop close to home that has a chassie dyno Ill keep in touch,the motor is a 350 block with a 3.75 stroker crank"not 400 sbc"internal ballanced with 8,500 rpm red line,4 bolt with girdel,modifyed z28 windage tray,milodon bbc oil pump convertion,9:1/2 to1 forged arais pistons,a large hyd blower cam,cast iron 202 angle pennut plug heads,with about 10lbs of pig iron ground,port and pollished,intake matched to blower manifold exhaust ports hogged to 1"5/8 to match a custom set of block hugger tri-y-headers"lowered truck need ground clearance."1:6:1 roller rockers,stud girdel,and the blower a b&m power charger,got a killer deal on ebay they go for $2,300 and I won the auction and got it for $1,685 its brand new never installed.the truck is a 1976 c10 short box fleetside,nosed ,decked,shaved,and tubed,4:86 gears detroit locker posi in a ford 9" 31 splined axels buildt turbo 350 shift kit,mile marker overdrive splits the gear ratio to 3:88 on the highway.well enough of me honkin my horn ,thanks again...jake
Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 AM

Super Chargers and projection systems.

Industry individual: 46 years of accomplished facets of the automotive technology, I may inform one of the algorithms,(a logical step-by-step procedure for solving a mathematical formula), necessary to accommodate the two systems, creating a well tuned vehicle.

As the TPS indicates, to the ECM, it has moved from the base voltage, idle, the plus rate, timing and additional air supply is modified based on input signals from all sensors. The "If / Then", algorithm, based on the, at warmed and closed loop, formula, is for a normally aspirated engine. If the base e-prom information within the ECM has not been attained, the system changes to an additional Algorithm to accommodate the input signals. The system continues to adapt until it has no additional formulas to continue. At this point, the ECM turns on the MIL light and uses the minimal run function. A Blower and or Turbo compression method, requires, off idle, based upon the load geometry, a larger amount of fuel, lower air to fuel ratio, and retarded timing for a minimal time factor, milliseconds, before beginning the advance curve.

Therefore, the two systems may be married, but must be modified technically. Unfortunately, it is not a simple process.

Good luck
Ignologist

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.