User interaction with Hotrodders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 03:33 AM
hooked...

Wiki Edits: 0

User interaction with Hotrodders

Hi, I’m a student at the University of Pretoria in South Africa, currently studying journalism and majoring in visual communication. At the moment I am doing an assignment for visual communication in which we have to discuss the user and context of user-product interaction. I have chosen Hotrodders.com as the topic for this assignment. Therefore I would like to ask you as the user of this communication product a few questions concerning your interaction with it.

Because I am Rich’s (rlackey) girlfriend, he could give me some insight on which I could base my questions.

1. I understand that the main purpose of Hotrodders.com is to present people who are interested in the relevant topic with an interface where they can transfer knowledge and advice, as applicable. Is that the reason you joined Hotrodders.com? Is the site successful in satisfying that specific need for you?

2. If the purpose in Question 1 is not your reason for joining, why did you join? Does the site successfully satisfy your need?

3. The fact that so many people who share an interest all basically ‘meet’ at this website, it tends to have a community vibe to it. Do you find the interaction with other people stimulating? – even in the case where you get to discuss issues that are not at all relevant to the main purpose of the site?

4. In general, according to your own experiences, does Hotrodders.com present an appropriate interface for users to interact with the site itself, as well as with other users?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 03:43 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Ok guys, now this is the love of my life here, and I have been telling her what nice people you all are, so you better be nice or ...

Rich
Old 05-09-2005, 06:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

For me,

#1. yes.

#2. N/a to me.

#3. Yes. By learning from what others are going through makes it easier to get through what I'm going through. Follow?

#4. In concerns of tech matters, yes. In meeting people face to face, well, we'll have to see about that in June.

BTW Rich, got pics of "Ms Love"???

In a while, Chet.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

#1 Yes, that's why I joined and Yes, it is hugely successful as a collection and distribution point for knowledge and information about hot rodding. (Note:I live in a rather remote area with very few hot rodders or car people around to provide help or discussion. HR.Com is a real asset to me as a substitute for an active local rodding community.)

#2 Not Applicable

#3 Yes and Yes. Obviously, not all the threads are equally as stimulating. But at any given point in time I am probably actively involved posting or reading 6-12 threads which I find the most stimulating for my particular interests. Also, over time, you learn that certain members will almost always have an interesting, humorous, or informative comment on almost ANY topic and I will almost always read their posts no matter what the topic. Regarding the sense of community, many members of this list have taken their HR.Com interchanges to the next level by meeting face to face to continue their conversations. There is even an HR.Com get-together happening this summer in Ohio where I believe 50 or more members plan to gather. Hopefully this will become an annual event and more and more members will be able to attend.

#4 Yes. Jon, the creator of this site, is very responsive to making this site very user friendly. He is upgrading and adding features continuously.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Duck Tape & WD 40

Last journal entry: No more Vehicle
Last photo:

#1-- I first joined hotrodders.com when I got my truck, I had a couple of questions that I needed answered. I got my questions answered and then some. The people on here are very helpful in answering questions and even just talking about stupid stuff seems to be fun sometime on here.

#2-- not any

#3-- I am always learning something new every time I come to this site, I dont think there hasn't been a time I havent learned something, Even if it is of the smallest importance. Alot of times I will come across a thread and two people will be talking about something that I do not know what it is and thats when I lean quite a bit.

#4-- It kinda seems like this site is like a community in a way, You have the people who "live" here and then you have the people that just stroll in and then leave. After a while of being on the board you kind of get to know what other peoples personalaties are like and you kinda get to be friends with them in a way
Old 05-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlackey
Ok guys, now this is the love of my life here, and I have been telling her what nice people you all are, so you better be nice or ...

Rich
Just for you, Rich.
1.Yes, problems with a transmission. The site has met my every need for knowledge.
3.Yes, Cboy said it well. "But at any given point in time I am probably actively involved posting or reading 6-12 threads which I find the most stimulating for my particular interests. Also, over time, you learn that certain members will almost always have an interesting, humorous, or informative comment on almost ANY topic and I will almost always read their posts no matter what the topic."
4. Yes, absolutely. In comparison to other boards, this board could be used as a standard for the others.I've met 5 or 6 of our members, all have been very nice people. We have enough members here to have our own "meet", that would be cool if someday we could get a few thousand members together in one place.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

1. yes..

2.n/a

3.Yes i find the discussions stimulating mentally......This site is one of the very few of the thousands of automotive sites out there that you can dis-agree with someone and still keep it professional ( mature)..... I feel the "Vibe created here is due to the moderators doing a good job,as well as the people posting......

4.This is the best site on the net for this....... IMO!!!!!!!

Keith
Old 05-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

1. I have had an insatiable thirst for knowledge of automobile technology since I picked up my first Rod & Custom magazine from a grocery store magazine rack in 1962. The internet has opened a universe of information to me. I go to every rod site I can find but Hotrodders is unique. Jon who started the site has orchestrated a unique site that is dedicated SOLELY to information transfer yet has maintained a PG rating. It is virtually the only site I visit.

2. N/A

3. Absolutely! Jon's civility rules are strictly enforced so even when there is an emotionally charged thread going and I vehemently disagree w/ another board member, we remain friends. Again, this site is unique in the entire cyber-space world.

4. Without question.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

1, A quest for understanding the automobile and it's impact on civilization.

2, I joined hotrodders because...ummm...Can't ummm...hell, I don't even own a hotrod, I just like the intelliigent conversation.

3, see No. three

4, This site is going to a car show everyday.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlackey

Rich
Oh yeah well ya better be ready to bring it on bro!

Alright heres my answers
1.Yes I came across HR.com through several search engines when I was looking for advice on several occasions, I eventually registered and decided to hang around.

2. uuhhhh pass

3.Yes, in the lounge we talk about just about everything that has anything to do with cars and everything that doesn't have to do with cars. I would say it is like a community. We all seem to have become good friends, and give support when something happens in someones life when in need, for example everyonce in a while someone will post asking for prayers.

4. Jon and the moderators keep us in line, but you usually see one of the moderators joining in the conversations, or helping out in the tech forums.

Good luck on your assignment Christine

Brad
Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Hi, I’m a student at the University of Pretoria in South Africa, currently studying journalism and majoring in visual communication. At the moment I am doing an assignment for visual communication in which we have to discuss the user and context of user-product interaction. I have chosen Hotrodders.com as the topic for this assignment. Therefore I would like to ask you as the user of this communication product a few questions concerning your interaction with it.

Because I am Rich’s (rlackey) girlfriend, he could give me some insight on which I could base my questions.

1. I understand that the main purpose of Hotrodders.com is to present people who are interested in the relevant topic with an interface where they can transfer knowledge and advice, as applicable. Is that the reason you joined Hotrodders.com? Is the site successful in satisfying that specific need for you?

2. If the purpose in Question 1 is not your reason for joining, why did you join? Does the site successfully satisfy your need?

3. The fact that so many people who share an interest all basically ‘meet’ at this website, it tends to have a community vibe to it. Do you find the interaction with other people stimulating? – even in the case where you get to discuss issues that are not at all relevant to the main purpose of the site?

4. In general, according to your own experiences, does Hotrodders.com present an appropriate interface for users to interact with the site itself, as well as with other users?
Hi Christine...........

I joined because I am a car guy and also have turned into a bit of a computer geek over the last 10 years. You would be amazed at the similarities of the two hobbies.

The HR.com site is very satisfying. Its kind of belonging to a car club, without the hassles. You can come and go as you please, although, as a moderator, I have become a bit more attached.

Definately, a comunity..............There are thousands of members, but in actual fact, only a small number post with much regularity. The regulars are well known by each other, and their personality shows through in their posts.

You can use this site, without posting, if you prefered. The "Knowledge Base" is quite extensive, and if you search, you can find most of your answers without posting art all.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

1. I found this place searching for info on body and paint. I ended up learning a whole lot more. I live in a small community, with no gearheaded type people I would associate with.... and I'm pretty anti-social, so this place fit the bill. I can "talk" with like minded people on any variety of subjects, car related or not. This is one of four forums i visit, but the only one I post on with any regularity. this is Home.

2. N/A.

3. see #1.

4. This is the best site IMO. (i hope Keith isn't reading this.!!!)
and it's due to the perseverance of Jon, without him, there would be no Home.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

1. Yes, especially the ones that build there own rides. I have found many helpful ideas and when I have had questions, someone always willing to help or at least an opinion.

2. n/a

3.Yes, even though you may never meet some of these people, after awhile you feel you have made some new friends, and ones you can turn too, for advice or opinions. Issues in the lounge has sometimes been pretty opinionated which makes a more lively web-site, if you choose you can join in or just take the neutral side.

4. Jon and the moderators I feel do an excellant and professional job in keeping things in line and are willing to listen to new ideas.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy larry
1. I found this place searching for info on body and paint. I ended up learning a whole lot more. I live in a small community, with no gearheaded type people I would associate with.... and I'm pretty anti-social, so this place fit the bill. I can "talk" with like minded people on any variety of subjects, car related or not. This is one of four forums i visit, but the only one I post on with any regularity. this is Home.

2. N/A.

3. see #1.

4. This is the best site IMO. (i hope Keith isn't reading this.!!!)
and it's due to the perseverance of Jon, without him, there would be no Home.
Anti-social? I wouldn't have described you as anti-social, but I guess I don't know you outside of HR.com.

If you are a half decent guy (or girl) it's easy to fit in here I think, and I think when you are around like minded people with similar interests it's easy to be yourself. No pressure to conform to anything, to look a certain way or to like/dislike certain cars or styles of building them.

It's also easy to admit you don't know something and ask for help, I get the impression everyone is here to learn.

You still get troublemakers, people who seem to always have some reason to argue for arguments sake, and to push people's buttons on purpose and provoke an awful lot of negative backlash, it always seems like these people are shooting themselves in the foot to me, but they still do it. I just ignore them though, most people do.

I consider everyone that has posted in this thread so far to be a friend, and it seems most of the 'regulars' have posted a reply to this thread so far.

These guys are the core of the HR.com forums, and are behind a lot of the knowledge that makes the site the resource it is. They are the "community vibe" and the reason I keep coming back.

Rich
Old 05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

Hi Christine,

1. When I started my project I was looking for technical info and couldn't find any better source on the net. I've learned a tremendous amount here on this site. Everyone's contribution helps toward a problem even if someone doesn't have the full answer. It's also a very good place to share ideas.

2. Nope

3. Yes, it's very stimulating and something to look forward to.

4. Definitely so, no doubt about that in my mind.

Jacques

p.s. You and Rich must come over for a visit sometime when he's in Pretoria again. I'd actually like to meet him (and you) personally to put a face behind the name.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.