Using 18V Battery with 14.4V Tool - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Using 18V DeWalt Battery with 14.4V Tool

Has anyone done this?

If so, what were the results?

How long did the tool last?

Advertisement

Last edited by Joelk; 11-07-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Last photo:

I have not done this, but with a DC motor the general result is that it will run faster. I cannot remember if increasing voltage produces a linear speed increase, but if it does, that would be 25% faster.

You forget these details when you get old like me! Usually higher voltage equates to lower amperage, which should not heat the motor up. Try it and see what happens and let us know.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have several 14.4V DeWalt Tools, but all of my 14.4 V Batteries are now bad. I don't plan to buy more so I am probably going to modify the tools so that I can use my 18V Batteries in them.

I have modified one of the 14.4V Tools(1/2" Impact Wrench) and the 18V Battery now plugs in and runs the tool.(I am using a bungee to hold the battery in place)

The tool seems to run normally, just faster than it did with a 14.4V Battery. I have not measured before/after speed, but I would guess it is in the 20-30 percent range.

It does not seem to be overheating or anything, but I have only run it for a few seconds and I have not run it under load.

I will report back after I have used it some, but I would be interested in hearing the reports from other if anyone has tried this on DeWalt or other brands of tools..
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

i guess this is the same principal, i took the neice & nephews power wheels ride on cars . the batteries were shot. so i hooked them up with some motorcycle batteries. them little ones were cooking all over the place.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Why not just pull those old and dead batteries apart and rebuild them with new Sub C cells(usually), found many places on the web including Ebay. I did a set of Porter Cable batteries and lately a Bosch with good results. Quality of the batteries does vary though, but my recollection is that it cost about $12-15 per battery pack plus about an hour each with a soldering iron to rebuild. Just don't take all of them apart at the same time as you really need a guide as to how they are 'wired' and wrapped up together
C-cab dreamer (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Why not just pull those old and dead batteries apart and rebuild them with new Sub C cells(usually), found many places on the web including Ebay. I did a set of Porter Cable batteries and lately a Bosch with good results. Quality of the batteries does vary though, but my recollection is that it cost about $12-15 per battery pack plus about an hour each with a soldering iron to rebuild. Just don't take all of them apart at the same time as you really need a guide as to how they are 'wired' and wrapped up together
Very clever, that's a great idea.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM

Last photo:

I cant buy new nicad batt paks for my porter cable tools and I have 4 of them so had to replace the batts or throw away a costly tool and thats not going to hapen so I zapped my tired packs (sulfated according to a guy I talk to) with a tool made from a cord cut off a bad toaster. You apply house current 110 v across the + and minus terminals. I bared the ends of the plug and wire and added a 20 amp fuse on one lead with bare wire pigtail and put a gator clip on the other wire. Hook the clip to one batt term then all it takes is just a quick touch of the bare wire to the other term. The fuse may pop but the current surge kills off the deposits that bridge the poles of the batts. Some guys will zap with a welder and I have heard some use 2 or 3 car batts hooked in series to zap with.

If you do this be dam careful to not get shoked. Only for nicad so dont do this to hydrides, etc. Theres info on line about this for details.

If zapping doesn't help, replace them just like Irelands child say to. I bougt batts for a dewalt batt pak from on line place called voltman. I put better batts back in than it came with they were about $3 eack plus ship. They came with straps connected to the batts so hooking them together was easy. So for about $30 I got a new better pak that still runs.

The main thing with replaceing nicad batts is attaching them together. Reusing the spotwelded straps can be hard to solder so I used batts with straps already connected to the batts. If you have good batts that dont have straps on them you can use copper wire instead. Tin both the wire and batts before soldering them together. Dont overheat the batts. Using a good hot iron helps by quickly heating the connection so the heat dont soak in. May have to make some room for the wires inside the batt case if its tight.

You can also use a car or bike battery to power cordless tools in a pinch. Depending on the volts they might not run as fast but a drill will work. Course if you have a cord drill that would be better.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.