Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Using the 2.3L ford in a rod
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
the oil pan does, the top side is pretty narrow.

and I have one in my 78 Bobcat, which is about 2600 lbs. Even in NA form it'll scoot, but it needs high rpm with the work I've done to it. They're durable as hell too.
With the turbo setup and full factory intercooler the top end takes up alot of room with the efi manifold going over the valve cover. Cool thing is the turbo outlet point right at the throttle body opening. And lots of ford intercoolers out there that fit in between for nice short charge length the same is a motor without an intercooler.

Head gaskets are weak. They will always pop first if its stock gasket go in after it. And use ranger head bolts they are ne time use so buy new from ford or arp. Do not try to boost with pinto head bolts they will stretch easily. Pinto, mustangs, capris, rangers, merkur, cougar, tbird, and some others im sure all had tje same 2.3 block all the turbo blocks use forged pistons and usally have good bores.

Injectors are found in gm tbi in 53 pound not sure which ones but have seen them used many times.

You can also hog the entire top plentum out of the intake bottom one can be worked over as well. Use a standard trans to keep the cost down uless you drive alot of highway driving. The autos are just to fun on the highway.