Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Using the 2.3L ford in a rod
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
THere were a number of 4 clyinder turbo cars in the mid to late 80's that people drove to highschool. They were NOT fast in any sense of the word. Like the sunbird gt, merkur xr4ti , lebaron gt, probe gt, dodge daytona , hyundai scoop, and were some major flops.

Not sure what you are thinking that made them fast. They could not even pull a 9 sec 0-60 . Todays honda civic would smoke them.
Uh.. My 86 svo mustang was faster than the v8 that year and ran 14's stock. With a boost controller easily low 14's. Not great but not that bad for 86. Considering the 5.0 mustangs in 87 ran 14.8 in the 1/4.

Merkur is also pretty fast i think they would be fast sep they had open rear. But it was independent rear with disc brakes. I think cost and low compression killed them. Newer turbo cars use much high compression and are a lot more funto drive and a lot less lag.

Most of those were front wheel drive and very cheap and completely different from the 2.3 fords. There are 1000 hp 2.3 out there. Your not going to find a scoop running around all jacked up.