Using aeresol spray expandable foam in body ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2005, 10:38 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Using aeresol spray expandable foam in body ?

Has anyone used this stuff as a sound deadener/ insulation in areas like kick panels, bottom part of doors, below where the window would roll down to etc.I would think it would be a better sound deadener than a single layer of foil bubble wrap, and easier toget in tight spots.If the inner panel is primed with epoxy to seal as good as possible, I don't see any problems.Again, I'm wondering about sound deadening.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 05:45 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

just finished using foam to fill the rockers in my sprint, not for sound deadening but because the car was disintegrating just make sure you dont get the acrylic stuff, it only expands about 10% where as the 'other stuff' will expand about 30-40% I just poked holes every 8-10" with a screwdriver (pushed right through!) and filled it up after I patched the really big holes with ductape to keep most of the foam in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB150101.JPG
Views:	1100
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	8502   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB200069.JPG
Views:	1197
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	8503  
Old 12-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:

jcarter
My suggestion is to not us it, it has a tendancy to draw mosture and if you don't get a good seal on the body with paint it may enhance rust in areas that are not real fun to repair and hard to see, this is just my opinion.

tbirdscott
I don't want to tell you this but you maybe causing yourself more problems by filling that rust in with foam, you would be better of cutting out the rusted areas and welding in replacement panels, if you don't have a welder or don't know how to weld now is the time to learn and IMO the very least you should do is use a good rust stopper like por51 or eastwoods encapsulator first.

30dee
Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 PM

I never thought that it might attract moisture.I have to wonder why it would. I can see problems if you did get moisture trapped between it and the sheetmetal which I have just repaired cause it was rusted thru.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

DONT USE IT !!! I have tryed it in the past and EVERY place I used it I got rust . It absolutly holds moisture. I first tryed it 20 years ago filled my kick panels on a 49 pick up , both sides rusted in ten years. I still have the truck, were I didnt put it still hasent rusted. I tryed it again[stupid move] ten years later on a 54 panel. I cleaned, sand blasted, primed and shot it around the rear wheel wells inside to ''seal the hollow spot around the inner fender and the outer skin sure enough a couple years and rust bubbles appeared. THE STUFF IS JUNK for auto body work use it to seal your house as it was made for dont put it in your cars. FIRE POWER
Old 12-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback.Guess I won't use it. Wonder what else wold be good for those hard to get into spots to add insulation or sound deadener?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Last journal entry: my new toy
Last photo:

Do what the oems do.Use a plastic bag,place it in the area you need done then fill the bag with expanding foam.Lots of newer cars use this method and it works well.The foam in the bag will take the shape of the cavity but will not stick to it trapping moisture.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:06 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30desoto
tbirdscott
I don't want to tell you this but you maybe causing yourself more problems by filling that rust in with foam, you would be better of cutting out the rusted areas and welding in replacement panels, if you don't have a welder or don't know how to weld now is the time to learn and IMO the very least you should do is use a good rust stopper like por51 or eastwoods encapsulator first.

30dee
Did I mention it was a chevy sprint? lol I paid $350 for it and if it holds together till spring my buddy and I are gonna hit the trails and see how it competes with his 93 ford 4X4
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Pessimist=Optimistw/Experience

Last journal entry: Back to the Project
Last photo:

You might invistigate this product

Here is what I am going to coat my car's interior with (62 Impala SS) once I get the new floor pan in. You can buy a spray kit that has a flex able hose so that you can reach those tight areas. According to the wright ups it is moisture resistant, reduces sound and heat in the interior. Just a option for you to look at. http://www.coollizard.com/default.html
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 AM

expandable foam

DON'T USE IT!!
I filled the cavity between the roof and inside cab of my '64 chevrolet truck. After about a year rust started to appear and completely destroyed the pinchweld and eyebrow above the windsheild.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:38 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Note that while the foil covered bubble wrap type insulation is great for heat, it does little for sound. You need something much denser for a good sound insulation.

The foam is more or less like a rigid sponge. It was never designed to seal water out -- it's designed as an AIR sealant. It will repel water to a degree -- water that get's on like rain and runs off. If it's in a place that doesn't drain well, water will fill in the air spaces and stay there. The foam then helps retain it because it doesn't evaporate -- the moisture is "insulated" in!!

tbirdscott - for a temp repair like you're doing it's okay, but definitely not something you's want to do for anything you'd keep for a while. I'm surprised it lasted 10 years...
Old 12-23-2005, 08:06 AM

Last photo:

When I redid my Allante, the hood had a problem where the outer skin would contact the inner frame if you pushed on it.

I used the "Great Stuff" flexible window sealant foam and injected it into the holes in the inner frame. It expanded to fill the cavity and adhered to the outer skin, eliminating the problem.

Its been in for a couple of years w/o problems, and the hood is aluminum so it might be less of an issue. Plus, being over the engine, its probably the first part to dry out.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

sandblast the inside of the door, coat with epoxy, cut and apply roll roofing mastic from Lowes/Home Depot to the VERTICAL areas inside the doors for excellent sound deadener....very easy, pretty cheap, kinda fun: "where else can I stick some"

most important is...you want the dirty inside of the door to dry as fast as possible, it's constantly getting wet

with time and heat....the roll mastic "vulcanizes" for super stick
Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 AM

I was looking thru the old posts last nite and seen them talking about this stuff called mastic.Some guys were told it wasn't available anymore.What is it exactly, sounded like it was rubberized, not the heavy tar paper you put down before shingles.We have a product called ice and snow barrier that is used on the bottom portion of roofs which is a bit better than tarpaper, but don't think it will deaden sound to much.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

jcarter

mastic= Lowes "Peel and Seal", foil backed self vulcanizing rubber
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof mastic.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	8591  

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.