Using an altenator for turbine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Using an altenator for turbine

I wanted to know if it was possible to use an altenator to generate power using wind/water? Does it spin fast enough? And if so I should be able to connect wires to the battery directly from a fuse box ? Im no mechanic Im just an unbolt and replace kind a guy. Thanks for the info
Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan41
I wanted to know if it was possible to use an altenator to generate power using wind/water?
Yes

Quote:
Does it spin fast enough?
Maybe, kindas depends on a lot of variables...
look at the pullys on your car and figure out how fast the alt is turning when the engine is running at 3000 rpm. thats probably a good speed for the alternator to put out a good power.

Notice the big pully on the crank and the small pully on the alt. That alt is really spining.

Quote:
And if so I should be able to connect wires to the battery directly from a fuse box ?
if you mean" can I connect the alternator directly to a 12 volt car or deep cycle battery". Yes.

Quote:
Im no mechanic Im just an unbolt and replace kind a guy. Thanks for the info
Ray

Then maybe you should buy a kit

Keith
Old 08-20-2007, 03:06 PM
zim@Eagle Mi.

Last photo:

Those little 12v bulbs arn't good enough to read by but you might find a 12v TV

Maybe you could put the prop on the top of your car and save the extra hp.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

YOU need to do research..

A Fully excited Alternator DOES have drag on it..So in order to be dependent on it's medium, you need to plan a drive unit that will equalize or Overcome and counter~opposing force at low RPM/Drive..

Anything over (usually) 300 RPM, on most MODERN regulated Alternators will produce an output..

If you Mean "Can I directly connect the output from my alternator into my Home Fuse Buss System.." The answer Is a definite NO, unless you already have filled out your LAST WILL and TESTAMENT..

The alternator is DC, 12 Volts, 100 amps at best..The Home fuse buss is 220 Volts (across both Buss Bars) AC Current, starting at 125 Amps and rising from there, Single Duel and Three Phase..

IF you plan on doing such a thing..YOU MUST invert the power..12 Volt to 110/220 (inefficient as hell..using power to change power..) OR run a secondary Home Buss for 12 Volt lighting , appliances and plugs..you should also plan a storage system for excess generated Voltage..such as a bank of battery's or HUGE storage Caps to Cover "Non~Media" lags from the alternator..PLUS a backup generator to keep things like a bank of battery's charged , on those days you can't get a charge at all..as well as things like a fire pump so you'll have a source of water..(assuming were talking a cabin in the sticks...)

Go on the internet..there is a wealth of info from very basic to elaborate plans to design a system around..just remember..you can't put it back in as fast as you draw it out..(by itself.) sorta like my savings account..

Doc
Old 08-20-2007, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

A long read but the answers to all your questions and a lot more you did'nt even ask, if you are interested in alternate power this is the place!

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind.html
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

my dad thought about doing that for my grandparents cause they got a running stream year round, using an inverter. never did, probably would have worked with a couple deep cycle marine batteries, probably enough to run some lights.

the real deal is wind power, there's a guy that runs an excevating company in my area, that built a 65' windmill on the top of a hill, for power, he gets a check every month, from the power company, buying his excess power. commercial windmills are 400', so it's actully small
Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

An alternator is just an AC generator that has a rectifier circuit to change it to DC. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just eliminate the rectifier and use the AC output?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

If you check out that site it becomes quite apparent that an automotive alternator will not be practical for this, it is too inefficient at low RPM. A good permanent magnet motor/generator is the way to go and they even have plans for building your own using a brake rotor assembly driven by water or wind.

Matt, That guy must be smokin something pretty strong if he is telling a story like that, unless he is talking about 65' sails (VERY expensive!!) and not the tower. Wind power is usable but for a practical sized system (even most anything you could mount on a 65' tower) you are not going to get even enough power to replace normal home use, not by a looooong shot, let alone enough to sell back to the power company. Even in an area with a steady wind most systems can take years to pay for themselves unless you build, or can scrounge, almost everything including the generator.

Last edited by oldred; 08-21-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 PM

Alternator

Thanks for all the Info.
This is the first site that popped up in my search so I thought Id ask the experts first. No I wasnt intending to hook it up to my household current! just to couple of batterys. I was just curiuos to know if it would work with some scrounged parts. Im sure a guy could buy a kit and save a lot of headaches but that would spoil the fun and wouldnt pay back for years.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Ray, Check out the Otherpower.com site they have far more than just wind power and they shoot straight with you because they are not an equipment company like most of those sites so the info is not slanted, they are tuned to the "scrounger" and people who want to live "off the grid" on a budget. Building a permanent magnet generator is not as complicated as it sounds, heck even I can do it, they have free plans and links to everything you will need. I have dabbled in generating free power for several years and I am no electronic expert by any means but even still I have an operating water powered generator built from a large squirrel cage type wheel and a DC motor from Surpluscenter.com. I have a 400 watt(yeah right ) wind generator (ready made outfit bought some years ago from Northern Tool) that puts out ok and although a bit noisy it seems to be holding up well. The power inverter and battery storage system are the expensive parts and are the things you can not build but the windmill and generator can be built and free plans with links to necessary parts are easy to find. There are MANY myths about home power generation so research this well before spending any money and be suspicious of info from anyone who sells generating equipment.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
An alternator is just an AC generator that has a rectifier circuit to change it to DC. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just eliminate the rectifier and use the AC output?

it will still be DC, Alot of 4X4 guys run a secondary Ford external regulator alt without a regulator to achieve 120V to run small wielders, grinders and lights.
I'll try to find the page explaining it all and post it.

Last edited by Holder350; 08-21-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

HERE it is took a while to dig it up.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/on-boardwelder/index.html
Old 08-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco

Doc here, Then your Field windings would be open and the wrong Voltage....by removing the DC rectifier System..

By Removing The Regulator, (whoever made that suggestion, ) all you are doing is full fielding the Alternator..It is Hard on the unit..but does produce a spark you can weld with..BUT I wouldn't want to run my $5000 Lap top from it..AC and DC Voltage Calculates Differently..at output..

IF you want a STURDY DC Generator, Look into Old Military Jet Starter Conversions..like the 2CM AND 4cm series APU and starters from an old Jet Junkyard..Super heavy Duty (both built, and WEIGHT!!) was used as motive power for electric Cars in the 60's and 70's (when better stuff wasn't around..could still pull a VW at 70 for 25 miles..) has a Huge input shaft..and probably can be had now for scrap weight..

I'm assuming this is like for like a cabin with no services..

A steady Water Stream is BY Far your best bet...24/7/365..for generation...Plus a good location for drinking/Fire Water pump...just bolt it straight to the starter..

Wire the starter as a Generator (easy enough to do..) then connect a "Buffer/Store" bank of battery's in line..and you have it..

IIRC, those 2CM and 4 CM series starters were tapped for anywhere between 24 and 177 Volts DC...should have the info on the make~up box or End Bell..but that's BEEN years ago since I've messed with them..

Doc
Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Auto Parts Professional

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvette
Wire the starter as a Generator (easy enough to do..) then connect a "Buffer/Store" bank of battery's in line..and you have it.
hey doc, could a 110v motor be wired as a generator? And if so would it be worth doing?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350
hey doc, could a 110v motor be wired as a generator? And if so would it be worth doing?

Doc here,

Almost ANY **---->DC<-----** Motor can be converted to a generator with a little creative re~routing..

So yes, It is in Fact worth Doing ... PROVIDED you can find a unit that falls within your needs at output (Voltage/Current Ect..) When done..

IIRC, I read on Google a bunch of data on Converting motors to generators..Not much to it at all in MOST cases..

There was a post here a while back from someone who had a Kid in like 4 th or 5 th grade, that was given this project for a science fair..(small motor/generator conversion) that had some questions about it for Him/Her..so easy..(I guess) a Caveman can do it...

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.