Using a Grinder to remove paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Using a Grinder to remove paint

This is a little technique for removing paint with a grinder/sander.

Get a 7" backing disk and 8" sanding disks in both 36 grit 80 grit and 120 grit.
To remove paint and not metal, move the sander up/down.
To remove metal move left/right.
Start with 36 grit to quickly remove the paint going up and down. Then switch to the 80 grit to remove the 36 grit scratches and finish up with 120 for a mirror like finish. Then prime and paint.
If you can find the 120 grit in a flap wheel, those are the best.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
To remove paint and not metal, move the sander up/down.
Quote:
To remove metal move left/right.
Please explain how the up and down works differently than the left and right.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:07 AM

it all has to do with the was the sander/grinder makes the cross hatch pattern. Up and down doesn't bite into the metal as hard there for it will only remove small amounts of metal were as left and right works more with the directional pull of the grinder. Try it out on a old fender and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 AM
A different breed

Last journal entry: New Truck
Last photo:

I still prefer aircraft stripper, and then a little wirewheeling with a fine wire cup. Doesnt remove metal.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Plastic for me...

I get those double-wide 3M stripper wheels, and chuck them into my old Chicago Pneumatic inline die grinder. They take paint, bondo, and rust off down to clean metal, and leave a tooth like 180 does on the steel. Very little actual metal removal.

Even at 8 bucks a wheel I got the Kustomsledd completely down to bare metal in a weekend, using up 6 wheels in the process. That's under $50 to strip the whole thing
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

grinding paint

angle die grinder
2" flat "scotchbrite" discs + arbor

medium removes grind marks
coarse puts grind marks in

strips paint/rust quickly- mirror finish and very quick
Old 07-29-2006, 07:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I get out my DA sander with some 80 grit ( don't buy the HF stuff, it's not true 80 grit and it wears out quickley ) and it works good. I use the 3M rolloc discs for grinding out welds and heavy bondo where it shoulden't be. the thing you need to remember about grinding wheels is that, they make a lot of heat, so much heat that it can cause panal warp, even if it dosn't grind away at the metal.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:30 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

i prefer 36 grit on an airboard

its slower, but at the same time theres more sandpaper-to-paint contact, so it evens out in the end

and since your using less speed, and theres time between passes ovr a section, theres less heat transfered to the panel, way lest kisk of warpaqe for thin panels

ive said it before.... ive stripped aluminium hoods w/ airboards b4 ... none ever warped .... a grinder would have DESTROYED them no matter how hard i tried to be carefull ....
Old 07-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

removing paint

I use the method furniture refinishers use. first i use a good putty knife sharpened to razor edge. adjust the angle to the saurface and scrape. no grind marks and the scrapes are wide enough to remove it faster with NO DUST . for edges i use aircraft stripper, more scraping and then my 25 horse power washer I use for cleaning my heavy equipment, tractors, etc minimal sanding with 80then 120 paper and its ready for primer
Old 07-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
I would NEVER recommend (even if I could do it) to any newbes to touch a car body with a grinder to remove paint.

Using an orbital sander like a DA or "Bondo hog" is one thing, but a GRINDER, sorry, NO WAY.

Brian
Old 07-29-2006, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

i agree with brian. I use my orbital sander (mud hog, as brian said to remove paint) National Detroit makes a good one, but I got a snap on one that is a bit underpowered, but does the job with a little more time involved. Less chance your are going to heat up or remove to much metal with an orbital. Most guys will say start with 80 grit to remove paint, but I use 36 to get the bulk of it off. Even back working in a dealership and being new to the trade, when we had to strip many paint pealers in the 90's I haven't had a problem starting with 36 grit to get most of the paint off, then switching to a 6" da with 80 grit to finish the job off. A grinder scares me for most guys to use, it really wouldn't take to much to go to far and remove a bunch of metal, or heat it up enough to warp it. And if you have any aluminum parts be careful how you deal with it, aluminum will heat up fast.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

Actually I know of a guy who used a variable speed grinder(polisher?) with 36-60 grit discs to remove paint. My first thought was the same as what you guys are saying but after watching him run that thing at a fairly slow speed it seems to remove paint quite fast without much damage to the metal. IMO there are better ways of doing this and I don't think I would want to strip a car this way but it seems that as long as the disc is used at relatively slow speeds it can be made to work fairly safely. The key here would seem to be the slow speed however I still think there are better methods of paint removal because no matter which way you move that thing there is going to be some metal lost with a 36 grit disc.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I would NEVER recommend (even if I could do it) to any newbes to touch a car body with a grinder to remove paint.

Using an orbital sander like a DA or "Bondo hog" is one thing, but a GRINDER, sorry, NO WAY.

Brian
----------------------------------------------
Great advice:
Although I have stripped 100's of cars with a 4" and 7" 24 grit grinder over the years a first timer is asking for problems. In the 70's if a panel needed stripping at the dealership that was the only way we had of doing the job.
Bondo hog although I have never used one would be your tool of choice and from what I hear just as fast.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

a DA,mudhog or paint stripper is about the only safe ways to do it safely & efficeintly...although i have used a wire wheel on a 4 1/2 inch grinder & had good results but was VERY carefull not to stay in one area long..those things run at 10,000 RPM's..causing alot of fast friction heat to the panel & also if used on the metal very long you are going to have to sand it afterwards anyhow because it polishes it & leaves a film & very easily warp the panel from the heat

im with Martinsr on the NOT using a grinder..hard for even a seasoned pro to do it without damage

and ive seen guys use the samething as Oldred mentioned but like he said..VERY slow speed

ive never seen it matter which way you use the sander..left to right or up & down.................
Old 07-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

ive never seen it matter which way you use the sander..left to right or up & down.................[/QUOTE]

The old guy that taught me to use a grinder wanted done that way mostly to keep the metal cooler but if nothing else he just wanted that grinder moving and not being held still, I agree with you and don't think it would matter with a mud hog.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.