USING LATE 80'S FRAME FOR A 1937 FORD PICKUP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2002, 10:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post USING LATE 80'S FRAME FOR A 1937 FORD PICKUP

WE WERE WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS TRIED
TO PLACE 1937 FORD PICKUP BODY ON A LATE 80'S
S-10 PICKUP FRAME OR BLAZER FRAME. FROM WHAT I HAVE READ THE 37 AND 80'S FRAMES ARE BOTH 112 INCHES

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2002, 08:11 AM

A friend has done this , only he used a toyota or nisan frame. said he was amazed at how close all the mounting brackes were little or no mods at all. for body. will check with him for sure and get back.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:56 AM
Toy builder

Last photo:

Digger dont worry about how long it is (wheel base)wheelbasses are easy to fix. measure the track width and look at the steering box.Most frame swaps dont work out to well.In the end you will be better off using your stock frame.Do some real carefull frame messurements first.Everybody is on the s-10 bandwagon of late yet i have only seen a very few that looked ok. Good Luck
Old 03-02-2002, 06:40 PM

I would agree with phat.Get alot of good measurements.I`ve been checking into this myself.I have a 37 pontiac coupe, and I was also told that a s-10 frame would fit up under mine with little or no modifactions.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:44 PM

Got a hotrod buddy who used a late 80's Caprice under a '40 Chevy...at least he used the front end and rear end parts, had to use his '40 frame in the center section. Was an extreme amount of work, but after a couple of years of building, he has one of the very nicest, best riding and handleing '40 Caprices on the planet. He used basically everything from the donor car, bought an aftermarket AC and radiator, everything else came from the Caprice. The width of the front end and rear end limits the offset of wheels and he chooses not to sacrifice ride for looks by making the car sit low like most streetrods. All in all, he probably has the best engineered, most dependable, and best riding car in town. All done in his home shop, right down to the upholstery. It may be more work than you want to do or are capable of tackling, but it can be done.PACO
Old 01-24-2009, 07:59 PM

Building a 37 on a S-10 chassis

Yes the car Im Building is on a 80's s-10 chassis sort of, Tremendous amounts of work have been put into my chassis to make it work , and alot of fiberglass work also ans still many things to work out. but to just think you can plop this body on a truck chassis. WRONG. I do have some pictures and can go into a bit of detail if needed, but believe me you need alot of imagination. I chose this chassis because i wanted a good riding car all around and i also put a small block chevy with a 8-71 blower on it.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrods
Yes the car Im Building is on a 80's s-10 chassis sort of, Tremendous amounts of work have been put into my chassis to make it work , and alot of fiberglass work also ans still many things to work out. but to just think you can plop this body on a truck chassis. WRONG. I do have some pictures and can go into a bit of detail if needed, but believe me you need alot of imagination. I chose this chassis because i wanted a good riding car all around and i also put a small block chevy with a 8-71 blower on it.

This would be great info for the original poster, but he hasn't been on here in almost 7 years. However, it is still knowledge the rest of us can learn from...

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:45 AM

37 ford

It's been longer than 7 years. I have never been on this sight Yep I'm new and
In regards to the 37 ford talk going back and forth. My car is a 37 ford roadster
with the removable hard top. Which I have not installed yet because i have not found out what type of latches or latch to use in the front at the windshield.
if anyone knows this car will know you just can use anything. any help with this issue will be most appreciated.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxrods
It's been longer than 7 years. I have never been on this sight Yep I'm new and
In regards to the 37 ford talk going back and forth. My car is a 37 ford roadster
with the removable hard top. Which I have not installed yet because i have not found out what type of latches or latch to use in the front at the windshield.
if anyone knows this car will know you just can use anything. any help with this issue will be most appreciated.

Since you're new, we'll cut you a little slack (everybody's new here at least once, and we all are just here to help one another anyway... ). As far as the latch goes, I can't help much at all, I've never even seen a '37 Ford like you describe, but I'd be willing to bet someone else here has. Anyways, Welcome to Hotrodders.com, foxrods.

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Hotrodders

Thanks so much for cutting me a break, The way things have been going lately I could use it. I was going through your photo album, and wondering in which state you live, I'm out of Tennessee and from the snow in some of your pic's I'm sure your not. and still hoping someone out there can help me with my latch issue this car is a copy of the wild ride roadster that can be viewed at www.wildride.com
Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Tennessee? I've been through there a couple times. I'm in central Wisconsin, the home of 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.....

The link you gave doesn't work for me, any chance I can get you to re-post? I'd appreciate it....

In a while, Chet.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:24 PM

Tn Country

Sorry for the wrong address Try www.ozerodshop.net/body.html The first car is mine , the other site was www.37ford.com which is the wild rod site. I knew you were someplace cold, My Birthplace is Manistique, Mich. A uper I Know cold as you do. no place for a hotrodder. YA need the trees and beautiful Mountains to cruise in. Lots of cruise nights here almost one for any night you want to go,
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM

37 ford pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGGER
WE WERE WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS TRIED
TO PLACE 1937 FORD PICKUP BODY ON A LATE 80'S
S-10 PICKUP FRAME OR BLAZER FRAME. FROM WHAT I HAVE READ THE 37 AND 80'S FRAMES ARE BOTH 112 INCHES
yes i to was wondering..i have a 37 pickup with all chevy under it 327built with a 400 tranny and a camaro rear end i to want to up grade steering and brakes the steerring box on mine keep tearing away from the frame and its hard to steer does anyone know the best frame to use?????
Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,154 Posts
I predict that in thirty or forty years the frame swapping craz of the "00s" (as in 2000-2009) will be the liquer bar in the trunk of the sixties to us. Or maybe the hardtop racing of the forties where thousands of vintage Fords were destroyed.

There is no reason what so ever to swap the whole frame and the work involved isn't saving one single minute over updating the original frame with modern components.

Being this particular car is a fiberglass non original car, a full frame from a later model car kinda makes sense.

Brian
Old 10-06-2009, 06:29 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Fox, don't know if they will work for your, but take a look at the latches on the 55-57 T-Bird hard tops or about any latch mechanisms for any convertible.

Trees

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.