using MSD with Mallory ignition products - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2002, 06:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post using MSD with Mallory ignition products

i have an MSD 6A ignition box and I also have a new Mallory distributor that my dad gave me for my new 396 in my 69'chevelle SS. I was wondering if this combination will work? If so, will it be productive or would it be better to use all of the same brand?If so, which brand?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2002, 07:10 PM

MSD- 95% of racers are running MSD because it is the top brand out there, easiest to get parts for as far as aftermarket goes, and has the most addons. They have a control for almost anything ignition related. Their wires are the highest in conductivity and lowest in resistance-equals best spark delivery. One of my friends cought his engine on fire and burned through the cap and rotor of and MSD Ready-to-Run distibutor(ignition control inside the distr.) and the electronics still worked after the cap and rotor were replaced. I'm getting an MSD distributor and box for a car right now. MSD will probably say that mixing brands will affect the performance negatively. Who knows! The question is what kind of distributor he gave you. If it has the Unilite inside it(a light driven points replacement) then get rid of it, the light fails and the Unilite is known to be the most unreliable electronic control. It is possible to wire it correctly but I wouldn't risk it. The instructions say that the power source for the unit should come from the solenoid(mine did atleast) but the voltage is too high and burn it out or cause problems. The voltage needs to be reduced using a resistor, to about 6 to 7 volts. Remember, if you install it, you can't return it unless it is faulty. Get a Billet or Pro-Billet MSD series distributor. You can use the Mallory because the box should wire up to anything but it is always good to stay with one brand in a certain area. If the Mallory is a points unit, it will work with the ignition box but yuo will always be adjusting the dwell. I have heard of guys running Unilites for years and never having problems but have heard of more guys having problems after two months or so. Good luck!

[ May 26, 2002: Message edited by: blown69stang ]</p>
Old 06-03-2002, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

i somehow missed your question until today.i run a msd 6al to a unilite in my rod. no problems. if you need help,i will see what i can do or you can call the msd tech line at 915 855 7123.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:27 PM

I have heard many horror stories about MSD ignitions.Unexpected failures for no reason.A speed shop in my area stopped selling them because of come backs.Is this true or maybe just an a run of bad units? Or just BS stories?
Old 06-04-2002, 08:06 PM

You can run an MSD box with almost any distributor including a breaker, or magnetic pick up. You have to stop by the MSD booth at your next car show. They're great guys. They gave me good info and free MSD technical books that have produt info and wiring diagrams. I'm hooked on them because of the service and the vast array of componenets you can add on.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:07 PM

You can run an MSD 6A box with almost any distributor including a breaker, or magnetic pick up. You have to stop by the MSD booth at your next car show. They're great guys. They gave me good info and free MSD technical books that have product info and wiring diagrams. I'm hooked on them because of the service and the vast array of componenets you can add on.

I agree with blown stang about the unilite, but the MSD guys told me that I can use my Accel dual point, but if I do I can only use one set of points at a time and the dwell doesn't matter because the MSD unit controls that. You must have points that work of course but I gathered that the dwell was not critical for the operation of the unit. The draw back is limited RPM of the points unit. If you don't need 7,000 RPM alot points are OK if it's what you have. I bought two MSD Pro Billet distributors. One to go with my 6 AL for my Blown Pro Street car, and the other for the highway cruiser rod. I think I'll keep the one I bought for the single quad, air conditioned, cruiser rod as an extra for the real hot rod and stay with the points for the mild one. At least I'll try it once.

[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: DDent ]</p>
Old 01-12-2003, 07:41 PM

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Fairmont79 ]</p>
Old 01-12-2003, 08:22 PM

if i bought a mallory hei distributor for my engine should i get an ignition box as well, i have been told they each do the same thing but that doesnt make sense.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I run an MSD 5 on my Willys. Engine literally won't run without it. The 5 is for the street, mild strip (max 5000RPM) and is half the price of the 6A. Either is highly recommended.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:28 PM

What is the difference between one rhose little red ignition boxes everyone has and an HEI distributor? Do I need both, do they both do the same thing?
Old 02-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

They do different things. An HEI is a "high energy ignition", basically overcomes the draw backs associated with points/coil ignitions that crap out at various times, especially at high speeds when the coil doesn't have time to charge between firing. Still gives one spark per ignition cycle, but it is consistently a good spark. The MSD is a "multi spark discharge" unit and does just what the name implies - it fires the spark plug several times during an ignition stroke. It won't make up for a bad or weak ignition system but overcomes unfired strokes in systems with an otherwise good ignition. You need both; a good ignition system and an MSD.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:37 PM

Thank you very much. So will an MSD HEI dist do both?
Old 02-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Not familiar wiht the distributor but my guess is no. You will still need both the HEI and the MSD. Call Summit tech line and they will know.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.