using oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

using oil

I rebuilt my boat motor,v6 vortex using moly rings thinking they would hold up to the constant 3000-4500 rpms the motor would be at most of the time.The problem im having is its using a qt of oil every 5 gals of gas.Ive run it out on the water for about 2 hrs at different times.Motor runs great.HELP,I don't want to rebuild the motor.Any help would be great.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM

have you traced where the oil is escaping?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 AM

oilburning

I have no leaks and no smoking ,don't know why it's using oil so fast.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 AM

it either leaks externally or internally.
external,common areas=VCs or back of intake.
internal=rings or guides

look at plugs and wipe down engine with dry white cloth. clean oil on a new engine is almost invisible.

moly rings are sometimes hard to seat if the wrong finish is used on final hone.
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
sportcraftbob (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM

oil burner

When engine was checked out I didn't know I was putting moly rings in it.The shop did hone cylinders,but they didn't know I was putting the moly rings in it.The motor is in a boat,bilg is spotless,no oil leaks.165 degree thermostat in it,it works great with gauge.Should I get more oil and run it more.Do you know I should go about breaking it in.Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,063 Times in 882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcraftbob View Post
When engine was checked out I didn't know I was putting moly rings in it.The shop did hone cylinders,but they didn't know I was putting the moly rings in it.The motor is in a boat,bilg is spotless,no oil leaks.165 degree thermostat in it,it works great with gauge.Should I get more oil and run it more.Do you know I should go about breaking it in.Thanks for your help.
Don't know about your oil disappearance, but not a fan of cold thermostats. Motors need to run at higher temps to burn off acids and other contaminants that are a by-product of combustion. Change it out to a 205 degree thermostat.

I'm not sure how the moly rings would work on a surface that was probably honed for cast rings, but I'm thinkin' not very well.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Im a mercruiser tech. as far as would go do a leak down might be going out exhaust valves, any chance oil slick in the water at all tie her up good and put it in gear 2000RPM. Id leave the thermostat you have in or even take it out these engine need as much water as they can for them big water manifolds, 205 is hard on the soft rubber like the fresh water impellors.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcraftbob View Post
Moly rings break in very quickly when the finish is correct- which is finer than standard cast iron rings. Moly inlay rings and to a lesser extent plasma moly rings will wear quicker on a rougher-than-needed bore finish. If the bore is too rough the rings will wear rapidly, causing the end gaps to open and a loss of tension and they may not seat properly. There has to be a proper crosshatch hone pattern for the rings to break in correctly as well.

Check the plugs. If the rings or guides are passing oil they'll show it. A recent thread on this is here. If the second ring(s) were installed upside down, they'll cause oil loss into the chambers.

Are you using a PCV setup? Or breathers? What you do not want is a sealed or pressurized crankcase.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.