Hot Rod Forum banner

Using old alternators and starters that have been sitting

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  LATECH 
#1 ·
Hi, I've posted several questions in the engine forum about my 68 Camaro. Everyone has been so helpful and now I have an electrical question. I bought my 68 Camaro last summer and it had been sitting in a garage for over 20 years. Luckily it seems like everything still works. I have a new starter that I can swap on and probably will, even though the original still works. I'm curious about the alternator. It charges, shows 13.5 volts when running. I'm wondering should I swap it out or keep running it? A rebuilt one is less than $50 so replacing it wouldn't kill me. However it may last for years. Does age make any difference? It could have been new 20 years ago and only run a couple of times since then.

Thanks for your time!

#2 ·
If you are planning to keep it stock, the old one will work until it doesn't....... I'd convert it from an external regulated alt to an internal regulated one, the conversion is pretty straight fwd and easy to accomplish. Basically you remove the external regulator and splice the wires together and change out the alt pig tail....done. The benefits out way any cons (only cons are.... it didn't come that way and the price of the new alt). No more dim lights, weird heater fan speeds, slow blinkers etc..... It was the 1st thing I ever did for my 67 Camaro.

Attachments

#8 ·
While I can't argue about the quality of parts these days, I've had good luck with the NAPA hi end parts, they are hi quality and seem to last as long as OEM. I've had one of their New alt in my truck for years now with no issues. Some of the box stores...... not so much.

#9 ·
If you are keeping it original and a show car, then leave the OE unit on it.
I modded my 64 with an internal reg unit that I rebuilt. Best mod ever.
You get brighter headlights and a more consistent charge rate at ALL rpms than the old external unit.
I bought some NOS quality rebuilder parts off E bay to do it with.Nothing from china.:thumbup:
My car wont be original so it doesn't matter . Its a DD .Have fun

#11 ·
Swapping to an internally regulated 12si is an easy upgrade, and you can get a stock 94 amp alternator from a mid-80's GM vehicle just in case you need a little more amperage. There is no need to get anything other than stock GM parts.

Another good upgrade is a headlight wiring kit that mounts new headlight relays under the hood and uses the stock headlight switch to just activate the relays. You get good steady voltage that will power high output headlights, and/or make the original stock headlights consistently bright.

Bruce

#13 · (Edited)
Here's the NAPA alternator that I sell to most "hotrodders", available in three different versions / quality.

It's a 78 Amp Delco 12SI series
1N-4350 (new)
13-4350 (Premium Reman)
213-4350 (Standard Reman)

Edit: You can replace the "4350" with "4356A" for the 94A version clocked at 12:00
Just know that higher amps usually means higher temperatures, so it's very important to keep the cooling ducts clean on those.
More at Mad Electric

Here's the pigtail connector to go with it.

Echlin #VRC148

#14 ·
Probably a good idea to run a new hi amp wire from the lug on the back down to the connection at the starter. Dont forget to use a fusible link
I went with a 55 amp on mine because all I have is heater and radio.No power seats, no A/C Nada. So I used the same lead. But if you have a big alternator you should think about upgrading to say a number 10 gauge wire from the positive post to the connector at the starter.I would solder and shrink wrap that bad puppy too.

#18 ·
Oldheaps.....the internal regulator style of alternator was introduced in 1968.

Should be pretty easy to get one these days.

If you are converting from an external regulator design to the internal regulator type, it is pretty simple.
There are several threads on here about how to do it IIRC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.