Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Using Poly Primer instead of Poly Putty in between Epoxy and Eurethane primer
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
bare steel , epoxy , filler, epoxy, epoxy, epoxy, epoxy.......
LOL Shine, thats for the really talented bodymen doing high dollar work not the weekend warriors. Starting them off with some spray fillers aint so bad..I know I've used a good bit when I started out.

Abarli65,
your problem is that when your sanding the deck your pressing down to hard and flexing the steel over the foam that connects the inner structure to the skin. if you look underneath you'll see everywhere theres filler theres a some of that foam under it....try either skimming it with poly putty if you have some with a guide coat or the poly or 2k primers ,they'll sand a lot easier so you dont have to press down so hard..in this situation I think the poly primer and a long block with 80 will get you very close the fastest...
the trick to doing the filler work is to start sanding before it gets hard,the filler has a sweet spot between too wet to sand and to hard ,if you can slide your finger across it without smearing it ,it's ready and if you stand right there ,block in hand and wait you can just let the wieght of the block do all the work you just push it back and forth ,not down...an 8" mud hog DA also works wonders on flimsy hoods and decks,the bigger footprint acts like a snowshoe....I've been where you are and its no fun spending twenty hours on a hood and it seems worse than when you started that mud hog will be your savior on hard filler....be patient ,sand lightly and use plenty of guide coat.