Hot Rod Forum banner

using the Proform Parts 67597

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  OC_ 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up one of these proform 67597 valve spring testing tools and am a little disappointed with it. The first issue is that it came with no manual on how to use it, even though it says it comes with instructions on the box.

Second, it's too big for my rocker arms. Even though it's adjustable, I have it set to the smallest span and it's still to big. I used some washers to shim out one side of it to try to make the span smaller, but it's not enough.

Third, this does not actually measure the valve spring pressure in any real units. The gauge on it reads in psi, but the tool is not contacting my rocker arm directly over the roller wheel that pushes on the valve, so there is no way that the reading can be translated to real world units. Right now, the tool has more leverage on the rocker arm than it should and is reading 140psi. The springs I'm using at their installed height should be 125lbs.

What this tool can do is compare different valve springs to each other. I have noticed some of my valves are opening at 140psi while others are 120 psi. I guess that is not a good sign...

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.