using an S10 chassis under 63 nova - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 12:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First series S-10 wheel bases are listed as 108.3 and 117.9 .
The wheel base on the early Nova is 110. A redrilled spring pad would probably take care of that similar to what you do when putting an open drive rear under an early chev.
scrolling down on this page gives most of the specs on the S-10's
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104456

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 12:47 PM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsapp
my morris... is 85" not sure what the s10 wheel bases are... but i think the blazer was 100" or something like that... i would have to shorten some 15" to fit it in my morris traveler....

by the way i found this site that can give you ideas on your s10 frame....
http://www.rodster.com/rodsterfaq.htm

didn't we hear somewhere that S-10 frames are slide suspension????
Old 03-26-2006, 03:59 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

i heard that there is a weld that can be cut and the frame slid in, but i think it would be still too long...
Old 03-26-2006, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Kit Car Magazine is doing a 40/41 Willys Pickup on an S-10 chassis http://kitcarmag.com/projectbuild/0603kc_hauler/ There are some good photos here that might be usefull.
On the frame slide thing. If you look closely at the frame it appears that the front subframe connects to the side rails in the area even with the front of the transmission pan in the lead photo in the story. it might be possible to cut those welds and slip the frame a few inches to correct wheel base length.
I did much the same thing at the back of a 75 Monte Carlo frame that I put under a 51 Merc.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Don: I know that you aren't using the stock 51 Box, but I was still wondering what S-10 chasis you used? Extended cab/short box, reg cab/long box? I enjoy seeing photos of your project.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:56 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopt 48
Kit Car Magazine is doing a 40/41 Willys Pickup on an S-10 chassis http://kitcarmag.com/projectbuild/0603kc_hauler/ There are some good photos here that might be usefull.
On the frame slide thing. If you look closely at the frame it appears that the front subframe connects to the side rails in the area even with the front of the transmission pan in the lead photo in the story. it might be possible to cut those welds and slip the frame a few inches to correct wheel base length.
I did much the same thing at the back of a 75 Monte Carlo frame that I put under a 51 Merc.
yeah i think it looks like it is right after the trans mount. hmm.. now i really have to rethink what i'm going to use on my morris... maybe a bac halfed s10 would be cheaper and better than getting a morrison or fatman chassis made. well better for street use anyway... but i didn't know that the monte did the same thing...
Old 03-28-2006, 11:57 AM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvsapp
yeah i think it looks like it is right after the trans mount. hmm.. now i really have to rethink what i'm going to use on my morris... maybe a bac halfed s10 would be cheaper and better than getting a morrison or fatman chassis made. well better for street use anyway... but i didn't know that the monte did the same thing...

I see it too...looks like it could work...i think somebody posted 108 & 117... ...i know where theres two right now...a std cab longbed & a xtra cab shortbed...but if we're only gonna back half it what the hell...this is were that WyoTech education woulda come in handy...i didn't know montes had it too...i've heard that people used the front clips though...hey maybe a subscription to KitCar???
Old 03-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Last photo:

http://ad-engineering.com/TechnicalInfo.html

On the right hand side of the page there is a little more information on the S10. Should give you a little better idea on wheelbase.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 PM

well interesting ! I wanted to do a morris on a s 10 too !,been reading as much as i can on it , have you found a s10 that one year is better to use than another ?, and the track also, would it look right under the morris ?, saw the fatman setup, just too expensive for me, but i do have a chev. 402 and turbo 400 with no place to go so i liked the s10 idea under the morris, any things i should know about ? other than its alot of work. thanks for any help, love this site, just found it and i could read all night !
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

You know nybronc if you look in the top left hand corner of the post you'll see a date and a time.
This thread is almost 7 years old.
Do you think you might get an answer?
Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 AM

date

didn't notice the date, people usually stay on web sites like this for years , once into cars, projects ect., you usually always have something going , well if any others have done this swap i'd like to hear from you.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Start a new thread.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
You know nybronc if you look in the top left hand corner of the post you'll see a date and a time.
This thread is almost 7 years old.
Do you think you might get an answer?
And reason enough that Threads should automatically lock after six months of inactivity on all forums and only be reopened by the original poster.

I can't see why you would want to put that bulky suspension under the front of the Morris though when there are better options even if you might have to save your money for a while to do it. The S-10 Frame is not the universal fix all that some people tend to think it is.

Ask yourself "Do I really want a big bulky GM suspension under the front end of my rather small Morris?"

You also have to remember that the steering box and steering linkage is/are out in front of the crossmember and cause their own issues especially on a small car.

Like you the original poster has a very low number of posts so I'd imagine that he is still lamenting cutting the floor out of his heirloom Nova and attempting to cobble the S-10 frame under it long after the whole thing went to the junk yard. If he had succeeded we would be looking at a build thread in the archives.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chopt 48 For This Useful Post:
johnnyg (09-30-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,318 Times in 1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopt 48 View Post
And reason enough that Threads should automatically lock after six months of inactivity on all forums and only be reopened by the original poster.

I can't see why you would want to put that bulky suspension under the front of the Morris though when there are better options even if you might have to save your money for a while to do it. The S-10 Frame is not the universal fix all that some people tend to think it is.

Ask yourself "Do I really want a big bulky GM suspension under the front end of my rather small Morris?"

You also have to remember that the steering box and steering linkage is/are out in front of the crossmember and cause their own issues especially on a small car.

Like you the original poster has a very low number of posts so I'd imagine that he is still lamenting cutting the floor out of his heirloom Nova and attempting to cobble the S-10 frame under it long after the whole thing went to the junk yard. If he had succeeded we would be looking at a build thread in the archives.
I can not imagine what a cobbled up mess that Nova with an S10 frame would be like! Those cars are sooooo sweet, what a shame it would be. And how easy it would be to make a nice frame from scratch under it that looks like it belongs there.

Brian
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I can not imagine what a cobbled up mess that Nova with an S10 frame would be like! Those cars are sooooo sweet, what a shame it would be. And how easy it would be to make a nice frame from scratch under it that looks like it belongs there.

Brian
All too many people would rather cobble something together trying to save a few bucks (I've been guilty) rather than saving up and doing it right.
Often the same guy who tells you he can't afford a 1500 custom built subframe will easily spring for a set of billet wheels and matching tires that cost twice that and never flinch at that price.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.