Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   using an S10 chassis under 63 nova (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/using-s10-chassis-under-63-nova-84939.html)

63Pepper 03-21-2006 10:02 PM

using an S10 chassis under 63 nova

HI

I'm working on a frame swap from an 89 S10 to a 63 nova. I have the bare chassis ready and I'm feeling a little intimidated about cutting the unibody from the nova :sweat: . Does any one have advice on anything NOT to do?! Or has anyone done he swap on a nova before?

Thanks
Tory

Deuce 03-22-2006 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63Pepper
I have the bare chassis ready and I'm feeling a little intimidated about cutting the unibody from the nova :sweat: .

WELCOME TO Hotrodders.com :welcome: :welcome:

This is not a job for the timid.....The Nova body will flex all over the place with the structural support the unibody floor supports give....IF you are determined to do this... :D ....then I suggest making a lot of inner braces going from one side to the other to keep the body panels in alignment.

IF you are doing a post car......it will stand it a little better than a hardtop car.....

There are a LOT of things to consider.....

1) wheelbase
2) track width
3) body support
4) ride height

Not counting the usual things......like a good place to work, your tool access and your skill level.......

:)

shine 03-22-2006 08:55 AM

unless your going prostreet the s10 is going to be way narrow. there are much better ways to go. a front sub is the best way to go and even a back half is easier. i just put a 46 sedan on an s10 and theres way more to it than just setting it down on the frame. the rear kickup is going to be in your rear floor board. might want to rethink this one.

63Pepper 03-22-2006 10:32 AM

Thanks

I understand there could be tons of problems that I might run into, but if it works, the overall result will be completely rewarding! Disc brakes, solid frame, more room upfront for a larger motor, wider tires, cheaper parts ;)

on another note, someone on hotrodder gave me this idea a long time ago and it took a lot of debating to decide. If it works, great... if it doesn't then you learn from mistakes! Right?!

Thanks for the insite

Tory :)

Don Meyer 03-22-2006 12:10 PM

NO/NO-The S-10 front track is way too narrow. It will look awfull & you will have a car that has less value.

The s-10 suspension is no better than what you now have. If you want it to handle better go w/stiffer lowering coils in the front along w/a disc brake set-up. You can also improve the rear leafs.

63Pepper 03-22-2006 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Don Meyer]NO/NO-The S-10 front track is way too narrow. It will look awfull & you will have a car that has less value.QUOTE]

I'm more towards sentimental value not dollar value. Of course there are more expensive, simpler, sensable ways to convert to disc brakes and better suspension, I'm stubborn. Everyone has a mustang or heidts front clip... An S10 has the capability of swapping a small block into the normal pickup and without the inner fender wells on the nova, modifying the firewall, other problems seem minor (unless I'm forgetting something).

Don, have you tried anything with an S10 frame?

smallblocker2 03-22-2006 07:06 PM

What about just using the front of the frame, and bolting it to your unibody?

86078 03-22-2006 08:16 PM

I've gotta agree with Shine & Don...there are tried & true front & rear clip kits out there...i understand that you've got the frame already,But the little things that add up might run your wallet dry in the long run...coulda bought a kit & been done with it,kinda deal...why reinvent the wheel when there's things that work out there already...

63Pepper 03-23-2006 01:41 PM

True
I tend to go the hard route on purpose. I'll think it over some more... will only lose $250 in purchase of the junk s10.

thanks everyone, its appreciated

86078 03-23-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

True
I tend to go the hard route on purpose. I'll think it over some more... will only lose $250 in purchase of the junk s10.

gooluck...keep us posted...

Don Meyer 03-24-2006 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes,I've installed a 1950 Chevy trk on a S-10. I am currently working on a 1948 GMC & have installed a 1985 El Camino IFS. It is 3" narrower than the Camaro.

Chopt 48 03-24-2006 11:27 PM

Unless the floorpan in the Nova is already bad I'd have to vote with the guys who suggest going with a subframe conversion.
The S-10 conversion would work but you are still going to have to build a complete floorboard system and body support system.
As far as tread width I don't think that they are that far off. The early Novas are pretty narrow themselves.
Here is a site that you can make good use of http://www.novaresource.org/dimensions.htm#1963
If my old eyes are reading that white print right stock tread width is 56.3 Inches.

jvsapp 03-25-2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

True

i'd still keep the s10 frame. still can use it under other things. also you may be able to use the rotors and calipers on your nova, just gotta get the brackets.. and the later model spindles... i think a s10 frame would go nicely under my morris though... but at 85" wheel base it is a little short...

86078 03-25-2006 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvsapp
i'd still keep the s10 frame. still can use it under other things. also you may be able to use the rotors and calipers on your nova, just gotta get the brackets.. and the later model spindles... i think a s10 frame would go nicely under my morris though... but at 85" wheel base it is a little short...

Is that a shortbed,standard cab??? How about a extracab or longbed???

jvsapp 03-25-2006 02:03 AM

my morris... is 85" not sure what the s10 wheel bases are... but i think the blazer was 100" or something like that... i would have to shorten some 15" to fit it in my morris traveler....

by the way i found this site that can give you ideas on your s10 frame....
http://www.rodster.com/rodsterfaq.htm