Using a saginaw 4 speed behind a 1993 Lti Corvette engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Using a saginaw 4 speed behind a 1993 Lti Corvette engine

I have a motor and trans from a 1993 Corvette Donor car. The trans is a 700r4 and the engine is a Lt1350. I bought a 4 speed saginaw transmission from a swap meet also bought the pedals and pedal accs. I still need the shifter assembly. I bought a 403 bellhousing and The right fork(long) for the saginaw. I have the 1 ring model 2.54 1.88 1.44 1.00 . My question is what flywheel will work on that motor trans set up. Also cant seem to identify my trans it has the 3 places for the linkage in the side cover but no holes in the tailshaft for mounting a shifter. Someone said takes a special bracket. I would be happy to email someone some pictures if they could help me identify. Thank you and I am in dire need of help here Thank You

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My 68 Beaumont (Chevelle) had one of those. The shifter was mounted on the tranny crossmember. Would get the linkages all bent out of shape when power shifting.

Budget RVs
Old 10-25-2005, 01:11 AM

Last photo:

That bellhousing requires a 153-tooth flywheel (12-3/4" diameter). You'll need one with the smaller crankshaft bolt pattern for the one-piece-seal crank in the '93 engine. GM sells them under PN 14088650 for standard weight (~30lbs.) and PN 14088646 (~16lbs.). I wouldn't use the lighter one unless you have steep rear end gears. You'll have enough trouble starting from a dead stop with the heavy one if you have less than 3.42 gears. Clutch diameter will be limited to 10.4" or less.

You might be able to find a tailshaft housing that will accept a shifter mount from a trans rebuild shop, either local or on-line. Or, you might check with Hurst/Mr.Gasket & see if they make one that uses a bracket that bolts to the main transmission case.

If you find a factory shifter that mounts on the crossmember, they do tend to bind up on a hard shift. My '72 Nova has one, but I had a welding shop remove the S-curve in the handle, and it shifts much better now.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:39 AM

Last photo:

I had a Hurst comp plus on a muncie about 20 years ago, it had a plate that mounted to the top of the gearbox mount and had a u - bolt around the tailhousing. I suspect it may have been a Hurst/indy mount cobbled up, but it worked well with no binding. Most local sags had no bolt holes so when the shifters were upgraded this style of mount was used. Check out 3 speed sags and use their aftermarket mounts.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I recently sold a 4-speed Saginaw that had two U-bolts around the tailshaft that held a plate on the left side for the shifter, similar to what Ian said. They almost looked like a couple muffler clamp bolts.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

Should I switch Bellhousing to the bigger one

I have a 403 bellhousing for my 4-speed Saginaw. I understand that I will only be able to use a 10 and a half clutch with this bellhousing. I am running a 1993 350 LT1 from a Corvette 300hp stock. Should I upgrade to the bigger bellhousing or should the one I have work? I havent purchased clutch yet. Any help one this matter would be apreciated
Old 10-26-2005, 09:11 PM

Last photo:

I didn't mean to infer that a 10.4" clutch was too small. It's plenty big enough, and you'll have better ground clearance with the smaller flywheel & housing. The starter will also be closer to the block, decreasing the chance of header interference.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:47 AM

Last photo:

Some ls6's (real ones - 454/450hp) had a 10.5 in clutch, just a big ol pressure plate.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.