Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Using TBI fuel pump with return reg on carb
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad33478
well i unhooked the return line right before the evap canisters and ran a hose into a pan.

when i turn the key on the pump kicks on like normal and spits fuel through the return line but then shuts off after a second.

is this normal? or should the pump be consistently running and returning fuel all the time?
The pump is running for a second or 2 as the ecm is energizing the pump relay to prim the system. Once the engine starts the oil pressure switch should close and power the fuel pump circuit.My geuss is that you left the oil pressure switch out of the loop, so only the prime part of the circuit is functional.
You can vent a cap,but It is smarter and not real hard to keep the evap system intact. It will keep the fumes from taking over your garage.PLUS a sealed system with an evaporative setup that functions will help keep the fuel fresher as an open vented system allows moisture in, which is absorbed by todays fuel because of all the ethanol in the fuel, which is hygroscopic(absorbs moisture/water) to an extent. Water dilutes the fuel and lowers the allready low octane.It will also rust your tank.