utility trailer wiring issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

utility trailer wiring issues

So... I'm trying to get my trailer lights working. It's a basic 4 wire harness. At the vehicle white (ground) to running (brown) indicates "OL" on my multimeter set to DC. Overload? What the heck? But whatever.

I didn't bother testing the blinkers (green and yellow), but they don't function on the trailer, so I didn't test those with the multimeter.

I tested between the trailer plug ground and the trailer frame, and I get 0 ohms.

I cleaned the ground at the tongue (a small black wire goes and I believe meets the white wire), at the taillights, and replaced the taillights with new units (the old ones were broken and pretty crusty inside).

Voltage seems to indicate 0 at the lights, with the + lead at the ground (mounting studs) and the - lead at the trailer ground that I cleaned up (granted it could be cleaned up better).

Any ideas? Should I just say 'screw it' and get a harness kit?
Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 PM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OL reading on the Fluke brand meter simply means open circuit or no measurable resistance.
Chassis grounds are a constant problem.
To have a dependable system simply run a wire from each light to a central ground point which is the white wire from the connector in this case, and not depend on the chassis ground connections.
When testing make sure the vehicle connections are correct by testing for voltage at the vehicle connector using the (white) ground and (green) wires for tail lights/plate/running.
Then the (white) and (yellow) for left turn/stop.
Then the (white) and (brown) for right turn/stop.

vicrod
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

White to brown(running) gets you OL may mean that you need to set the voltmeter to a different setting. You may have it on a 5volt full scale deflection and its digital so reads OL. To much juice for that setting.
Thw white taht changes to black after the plug and is grounded to the trailer frame?

Check that the ground is good ground. Take it off and clean to bare metal and be sure the terminal at the end of the wire is nice and shiney metal where it contantcs the trailer
Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicrod
OL reading on the Fluke brand meter simply means open circuit or no measurable resistance.
Chassis grounds are a constant problem.
To have a dependable system simply run a wire from each light to a central ground point which is the white wire from the connector in this case, and not depend on the chassis ground connections.
When testing make sure the vehicle connections are correct by testing for voltage at the vehicle connector using the (white) ground and (green) wires for tail lights/plate/running.
Then the (white) and (yellow) for left turn/stop.
Then the (white) and (brown) for right turn/stop.

vicrod
Agreed. I have seen a lot of trailers that people have wired that try to use the trailer ball as a ground point for the trailer. You need all dedicated wires from the vehicle to the trailer including a ground wire.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
White to brown(running) gets you OL may mean that you need to set the voltmeter to a different setting. You may have it on a 5volt full scale deflection and its digital so reads OL. To much juice for that setting.
Thw white taht changes to black after the plug and is grounded to the trailer frame?

Check that the ground is good ground. Take it off and clean to bare metal and be sure the terminal at the end of the wire is nice and shiney metal where it contantcs the trailer

1. I'll look into the voltmeter settings and such. Mine is a digital craftsman unit with a clamp on ammeter.

2. There's a black wire attached to the trailer frame just behind the hitch part. Going from where it's screwed to the trailer tongue to the white/ground connector on the wiring harness produces 0 ohms, so it's safe to assume they're connected. There's about a foot of this harness that's in electrical tape...

3. I could probably clean up the grounds a bit, or even better, run a dedicated ground wire.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
1. I'll look into the voltmeter settings and such. Mine is a digital craftsman unit with a clamp on ammeter.

2. There's a black wire attached to the trailer frame just behind the hitch part. Going from where it's screwed to the trailer tongue to the white/ground connector on the wiring harness produces 0 ohms, so it's safe to assume they're connected. There's about a foot of this harness that's in electrical tape...

3. I could probably clean up the grounds a bit, or even better, run a dedicated ground wire.
A dedicated ground would be the best. Also, all splices or connections should be a solder joint with a weather tight adhesive lined heat shrink tubing over the connections to seal them from the weather. Run the grounds to each light individually and stay away from a frame grounded connection (just another problem area after a while).
Old 04-28-2012, 05:10 AM

Last photo:

Been running more trailers than I can remember with the factory chassis ground, for years and haven't had any amountable level of trouble...... sure the tail light housing have corroded/rusted etc ..... but geeze. if you want to run seperate wires etc...... go ahead but IMO it's really not ness and the tail lights are still going to rust etc... and the sockets are still going to corrode.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

trailer wiring

WE have 4 flatbed trailers on the farm . 14 to 46 ft long and 4 pickup bed trailers. Lights are always a problem because of the salted roads in the winter, corrosion soon causes problems. I have started using the sealed trailer lights mounted in the rubber grommets . The cost is 2 to 3 times the parts store chepo's. they come with the connecting pigtail and have a good coating of the anti corrosion lube. run the wires in conduit, and solder and shrink tube all the connections , and keep the 7 wire plug in connectors to the trucks coated with the electrical contact goo, I bought 4 of the harbor freight magnetic trailer lights when they have the $ 9.99 sale and plug them into the 4 pin connector. the belt and suspenders method. And use plenty of heavy duty tie down straps. , safety chains. etc
Old 05-04-2012, 06:35 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

I got the lights working nice and bright...

not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but I just got new light housings, and still no light. I had juice at the vehicle connection, 0 ohms at the white wire of the trailer to the tongue (being that the lights grounded to the frame, the ground wire terminated at the trailer tongue).

However, it's a tilt bed. It occured to me that the 'hinge' may be rusty and not allow current flow. I tied in a length of wire from the one light, to the other, and finally ran that alongside the wiring harness and grounded at the same screw the wiring harness ground wire goes to.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

Good to hear you got it figured out

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.