UV Bondo???!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 06:23 PM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

UV Bondo???!!!

I was at autozone today looking to pick up some body filler and I ran across a can of bondo brand filler called UV body filler. It says that it requires no hardener to be added, it cures from uv light. It says on the label that it is stronger and more flexible than regular bondo. Has anyone ever had experience with using this? I thought about picking it up since it is pre-mixed, but, i wonder if it holds up as well. Any comments?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2004, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

UV Filler

This product first came out about 10-15 years ago by the same company and it was a major flop.
Would not always dry just a mess.
I had heard they came out again about I guess a year ago for the do-it yourself market.
In last three years UV curing has come a long way so I'm sure you would not have a problem with the new product.
We now have UV cure primer with use of a special lite. and a lot of RDC money is being poured into this right now as some see this as the wave of the future for automotive paints one for VOC and two for safety.
The only concern I would have is body filler is one of those products that start losing solvents from the day its made and being in an chain automotive parts company, how old is it?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Tenacious D Rocks!!!

Last photo:

i've used the stuff on my truck. it's some really odd stuff. it hardens into almost like a piece of plastic but will remain flexible. the stuff is hard to sand by hand but it can be done, i recommend using a compressor. i went pretty thick with it in spots, over a 1/4 of an inch, and i can't tell it's even there. if it doesn't get sun it WON'T harden. it remains kinda sticky. if you have plenty of time to mess with it, i think it's worth atleast trying.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:39 AM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:

the stuff is less than a year old i think
Old 04-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You can have my partially used can, it's garbage unless cured in direct sunlight and is still tacky even after a couple of days, having to do the work inside is no treat either since I usually do body work outside to keep the dust out of the garage. It is very inconvenient to have to roll the car outside to cure it. Maybe with a black light it would work better but for me it's just another wasted 15$, the old fashion stuff works way better if you ask me.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:50 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

I was in a rush the other day and didn't have time to get what I use regular (Rage) and was forced to go to one of those auto stores. I saw that UV stuff and remember seeing primers that are coming out latley the use a special light to cure. I guess it works along the same princible but forgetabout it.

I keep looking and found a can of Brand --> Bondo* "Ultimate" in the sky blue can, and wanted to post that I thought it was better than I expected. It mixed smooth and creamy, was easy spreading and cut quick as well, It's the can with the yellow M in ultimate.
Old 04-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Never tried the UV only bondo stuff but if you want any polyester resin based system to really harden fast, use the prescribed hardener then set it in direct sunlight. Will harden like a rock in less than an hour. Works great for fiberglass parts that you are doing in cool weather. Left inside, those parts take a couple of days to set and still are rubbery. Set them in the direct sun for an hour and they will be completely cured.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Tenacious D Rocks!!!

Last photo:

i got the uv for $4 on sale at atwoods. i don't know the usual price, i haven't used it since last summer, the can is sitting in my toolbox and everytime i open it, it seems like the smell just lingers for 1/2 an hour and follows you around. its weird

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.