Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - V Belt for 5.7 liter Vortec Block
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly's 53 Suburban View Post
I built a 5.7 Vortec to install in my 1953 Chevy Suburban. I want to keep my cost as low as possible and custom brackets and pulleys are expensive. Has anyone used original equipment bracket and pulleys, on a late model Chev Small Block with vortec heads? The engine compartment is narrow and tall. I think there must be a V Belt application that will work. Thanks in advance for your help.
Yes this is easy you will need V-belt pulleys for the crankshaft and accessories, mounts for the accessories and a pre 1987 water pump and matching fan if it's driven off the pump hub.

The pre-serpentine V-Belt pump rotates clockwise just like the crankshaft when viewed from the front. The serpentine pump rotates counter-clockwise viewed from the same direction. This is also true of the fan blade pitch direction. So the pump and fan must be matched with the type of belt drive when using OEM or OEM type aftermarket drives. Not all aftermarket serpentine drives do this some are available that drive the pump and fan the same direction as the V-belt system.

Confusion: this occurs between the definitions for the GEN I 350 with or without Vortec heads, these are conventional cooling engines where the coolant is pumped into the front of the block cooling cylinder walls first then passing into the heads to cool the combustion chambers then returning with a common passage molded into the front of the intake manifold to the radiator. These engines use V-belts or Serpentine belts depending upon year of manufacture. The V-Belt pump and fan turns clockwise with the crankshaft rotation, the serpentine pump and fan turns counter-clockwise against crank rotation but both deliver coolant to the same passages in the block and return through the passage molded as part of the intake. The reversed cooling LT1 and LT4 of the mid 1990's is a GEN II small block it is a different beast. It looks very different from the GEN I with a completely foreign front end and no distributor. While the inside parts interchange, nothing of the block, heads, intake, or front end are common between them; at least not without a lot of expensive machine shop modification. This engine pumps coolant into a passage in front of the block where it is all turned and fed into the heads first (hence reversed coolant flow). After cooling the heads it flows down into the block where it moves forward to exit at the front under the coolant inlet ports. From there it goes to a mixing chamber which contains a multiple stage thermostat that mixes cold coolant from the radiator and hot coolant from the engine in a proportion that keeps the entire engine at a constant temp front to rear and top to bottom. In the conventional GEN I engine cold coolant enters at the front of the block and blasts against cylinders 1 and 2 which are always colder than the others giving them greater piston to cylinder wall clearance resulting in less efficiency and more unburnt hydrocarbon emissions as a result. This was one of the big problems the GEN II tried to solve with its complex and reversed cooling the other was to run higher compression for greater efficiency by cooling the combustion chambers first instead of the cylinder walls.

Anyway, this is a long digression about reversed cooling in the GEN II engines which is not to be confused with the reverse rotation of the serpentine and V-belt water pumps and fans of the GEN I engines.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 07-17-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: need to pre read better