V-belt idler pulley ? belt rides backside - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

V-belt idler pulley ? belt rides backside

I've been working on a project of mine, and I'm swapping in a new radiator, and the lower outlet moved my radiator hose very close to the alternator v-belt, which runs off the crank pulley, around the water pump and alternator. So, I am trying to find a way to improve clearance. One idea that popped up was to install a idler pulley, that would move the v-belt up, but.. I've never seen anything like this. Is this possible ? Can you run a v-belt on its backside over a pulley of some kind ? Or am I dreaming and v-belts really aren't versatile like serpentine belts.

Thanks for any ideas.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 06:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsAreBuilt
I've been working on a project of mine, and I'm swapping in a new radiator, and the lower outlet moved my radiator hose very close to the alternator v-belt, which runs off the crank pulley, around the water pump and alternator. So, I am trying to find a way to improve clearance. One idea that popped up was to install a idler pulley, that would move the v-belt up, but.. I've never seen anything like this. Is this possible ? Can you run a v-belt on its backside over a pulley of some kind ? Or am I dreaming and v-belts really aren't versatile like serpentine belts.

Thanks for any ideas.
I would think that the v belt could be tensioned from the smooth side- it might shorten the life somewhat, though.

If the amount of deflection was kept to the minimum needed, and a spare belt was carried... I would try it, if a smaller pulley set wasn't an option.

The belt will bow outward when at speed. Possibly just having the "idler" pulley there in front of the hose, but set to barely touch the belt- or even NOT touch- until the engine was at high enough speed the the belt bowed outward, would be enough to prevent the belt from being able to contact the hose.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
More for Less Racer

I have used a round piece of tubing as a "rubbing block" type of stop similar to what Cobalt is suggesting, to prevent belt growth from rubbing on something or climbing out of a pulley, but these didn't run against the belt full time.

Seems like I have seen v-belts with their backs run against idler pulleys, but I can't remember where I have seen it.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:01 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Seems like I have seen v-belts with their backs run against idler pulleys, but I can't remember where I have seen it.
Me too- and I just remembered where.

It is on my mower deck! Big-A spring against a smooth, flat pulley that tensions the blade belt. The idler pulley is fairly large diameter, but the amount of deflection is considerable. Never had the blade belt fail, though. Yet... lol
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

We use back side idlers to tension the belts on our hovercraft air drives. We are using banded V belts but have never had a problems. Here is a picture of a setup we used on one of them:

On the hovercraft we have now I actually have more deflection in the belt, its about 3 or 4 years old and we've had no problems.

Also I'm an industrial mechanic and while I was going to college for that in the power transmission classes I took I do remember reading that it ok to use a back side idler, but you want to put it on the slack side of the belt. Supposedly it reduces the life of the belt a little but I don't think you'll see a major difference.

I do it all the time and haven't had a problem

Have a good weekend!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.