V-belt to serpentine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

V-belt to serpentine

Hello all,

I have been looking around trying to figure out how to convert to serpentine belt system on my '86 z28. Some people are saying go with an 800 dollar kit, some say they are doing fine with parts from junk cars.

What is the cheapest way THAT WORKS, while keeping AC.
If you can go into detail that would be great, I am new to this.

THANKS!!!

-Andrew

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

These aren't cheap but they do come with everything you need.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294840140

You can probably also find an almost identical setup from a wrecked Chevy pickup. You could look for some of the late 80s-early 90s Camaro/Firebird but the pickups are probably easier to find.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

If you can find a good donor car from a junkyard you should be able to pick up everything for half the cost of the new GMPP $500(no AC) $800(AC) dollar kit from jegs or summit. With the 800 kit everything is shiny and new. From a junker things can be broken or borderline on their long term potential. IE power steering or alternator or compressor could be seized or whatever.
Now if you get your pick from running cars thats a whole different story. You could test everything and see if it is all alright.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Here is a link that should show all you need, took me forever to find it again. Even so I`m sure it mentions it in the article, make sure you get a complete system off 1 engine, don`t attempt to mix them as they are different and the pieces won`t match or line up. You`ll also have to convert to a reverse rotation water pump.
http://sethirdgen.org/serpentine.htm
Also keep in mind if your car has a clutch fan, you`ll have to get a reverse rotation fan as well.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Nice tech article. On the 88 changeover, how does one mount a Sanden AC Comp? Is there a mounting changeover kit?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
You can probably also find an almost identical setup from a wrecked Chevy pickup. You could look for some of the late 80s-early 90s Camaro/Firebird but the pickups are probably easier to find.
The pickup route will probably be the most plentiful and cost effective. However, keep in mind that they are for TBI engines and will work fine with a carb, but not TPI. If you have or plan to run TPI, get everything off a Camaro/Firebird.

Doublevision is right about mixing and matching, it will NOT work between TBI to TPI pulleys and brackets. http://www.tpisuburban.edgesz28.com/...ccessories.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
Nice tech article. On the 88 changeover, how does one mount a Sanden AC Comp? Is there a mounting changeover kit?
Good question. I tried to make a change but could not find anyway of doing it, short of making my own brackets. I believe an R4 compressor is your only option with the TBI/TPI brackets, unless you have a custom bracket made.

Good luck, Ed

http://www.edgesz28.com/
Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

You may be interested to know that TBI serpentine setups and maybe the TPI ones too... not sure, swap the location of the alternator and a/c from a carb setup. That is instead of the A/C being on the drivers side like a carb it gets move to passenger side and vice versa for the alternator. So slight changes in wiring and remembering to take the lines for a/c is important.

There is also the route of taking one off the chevy vans, they keep the alternator and a/c on the same sides, I used to know of a website that had pics of the setup that a friend sent me but I lost it.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I just did a similar thing. I just went to the junkyard and looked at a few setups (but sorry I don't remember specifics)

All of the block/heads from chevy smallblock V8s and 4.3 V6s are the same bolt patterns. So regardless of what serpentine setup you get they will all bolt on and work, provided your accessories fit in those locations. Most of the accessories themselves are the same, just the brackets and pulleys are different, so there is a good chance that all of your things like alternator, powersteering, and other current pieces will bolt onto the serpentine brackets. If they look the same, they'll fit.

Most chevys started getting serpentine belts in 87 or so, so maybe just looking to newer F-bodies is your ticket. Almost all chevys started using the long water pump in the 70s except 'vettes, and to the best of my knowledge, all common serpentine systems use the long pump. They're easy to spot. If you can see space for a small finger between the back of the pump and the timing cover, its long. If you can't its short. Even if you have to go from one style to the other, just get the right pump and then all the pulleys from the donor and it will line up. For instance, if you have a short pump and want to convert to the common long pump serpentine, just buy a long water pump as well.

Remember to get a reverse rotation water pump. Enjoy.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

just did this swap last weekend on my 79 Malibu. easy as pie, and spent less than $400.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:29 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

How about a serpentine setup for a GM 454 without power steering - anyone know of a setup that would work?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:43 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder

You may be interested to know that TBI serpentine setups and maybe the TPI ones too... not sure, swap the location of the alternator and a/c from a carb setup. That is instead of the A/C being on the drivers side like a carb it gets move to passenger side and vice versa for the alternator. So slight changes in wiring and remembering to take the lines for a/c is important.
I also have an 86 IROC LB9 TPI and want to use the serpentine from the 88/ and do want to move the AC compressor to the right side and the ALT to the left side to cleanup the engine compartment. The high and low lines run across the front of the engine presently and adds a lot of clutter.

I have to keep this swap OEM (factory setup) due to emission standards here (Thermactor) and have to retain the pump. I also want to ditch that ugly butt R4 and mount a Sanden, but I can find no mounting bracketry for just a simple replacement.

I found the below post during a possible Sanden changeover;

Quote:
One other possible solution is to use the brackets that came on some of the TPI C4 vettes and use the Nippendenso compressor, but this from what I know is very expensive.
Since I am BOW TIE CHALLENGED, can anyone give me information on the Vette setup?

I want/need this upgrade to appear factory when the hood is opened.

THANX!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

the serpentine belt system will work on the newer 1 piece rear main blocks and ON the OLDER MOTORS. but on the older blocks YOU HAVE TO TAP AND PLUG A SMALL HOLE ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE WATER PUMP PORT, THE NEWER WATER PUMP DOES NOT USE OR COVER THAT HOLE you can see in the picture what the style of the front of a motor this came off.

on the serpentine belt swap I did, I used all the accessories that came with the serpentine belt setup.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

you can get a serpentine belt setup and accessories off a 4.3 v6 or a 305 v8 or a 350 v8 1987 trucks & cars. but my 87 suburban has what I was told is a mini serpentine belt setup. it has 4 belts. my 89 suburban has a 1 belt serpentine belt setup like pic below.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.