V bend glass installing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 PM

Last journal entry: 1940 toy wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

V bend glass installing

Has anyone installed the one peice V bend glass in a 48 chevy fleetline. I need to know if it gets put in from the inside or outside. The instructions dont say. I think it would go in from the inside, but just not sure. The old 2 peice i took out came out from the inside. I hope someone has done this or knows how. Thanks again for any help. Keith.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2007, 01:31 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

who's glass ?......... what kind of trim came with it? if it sets in a rubber seal it will rope in from the front. if s10 style trim it will set on a bed of adhesive like newer cars.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

re: V bend glass installing

The glass came from JR Distributing International Inc, out of CA.They make custom one-piece windshields for many makes of old cars. There is no trim with it, just the rubber seal. I have the original trim for the outside, but it wont work as it is for the two piece glass with the center divider. I think it gets put in from the inside of the car, and then the rope is used to pull the outer seal over the pinch-weld, then the inside molding gets screwed on and that helps to hold the windshield in place. I think im right, but not sure. Thanks for your help. Keith.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

not sure on your chevy but on early fords the glass goes in from the outside. the posts are angled on the inside, meaning the hole is smaller. not familiar with the glass but i still would think it lays in from the outside. have you called the co and asked? is it a molded rubber seal or a long universal piece ?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:59 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Really the Pits
Last photo:

I checked my 41 shop manual (41-48 share a lot of the same parts). The stock glass is removed and replaced from the inside of the car. So, you are probably correct, Keith, but you should call JR and check. If they can't tell you, let me know. I will check with the guy I am going to by my one piece from and let you know. I have always assumed that the glass would go in from the inside of the car and you would rope out the channel from the outside of the car.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:57 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

man that would be tuff for a one maner . a few early ford trucks go in fron the inside and they're tuff if your by yourself. good luck with it.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

On my 48 chevy p/u the glass sits on the outside of the of the "lip" around the window opening. I just took it out a couple of weeks ago. Also installed the windshield on a 52 and it also went it from the outside with someone on the inside pulling the rope. Just my $.02

Barry
Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
I checked my 41 shop manual (41-48 share a lot of the same parts). The stock glass is removed and replaced from the inside of the car. So, you are probably correct, Keith, but you should call JR and check. If they can't tell you, let me know. I will check with the guy I am going to by my one piece from and let you know. I have always assumed that the glass would go in from the inside of the car and you would rope out the channel from the outside of the car.
Ok they said it they dont know, as they just sell the glass.So if you find out let me know ok. Im not doing it myself, i have a friend who has used the rope idea on lots of old Dodge glass. And he has built some nice cars so i trust him.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Hi,
Just reading your question about installing a v-bent windshield. I would really like to know how you get along with the installation when it's done. I'm about ready to put the glass in my 1940 Chevy coupe, and have talked to several people in our club about the pros and cons to a one-piece as compared to a v-butt. Several guys (two had 47 Chevies) have tried the v-bent, had them professionally installed, and the "v" didn't fit their cars and the glass shop cracked them. I have myself talked into using a v-butt for that reason. Any body have any experience with that?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

I dont like the looks of the V-Butt, you can see the glue line and it really stands out. I dont know how long the one piece will last, or if we will break it trying to install, but i will let you know how it fits.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

wrap the edges with 2 in masking tape and trial fit it to see if it fits you opening both for size and contour. see if it goes into place from the inside easily. on the rubber seal if one side has a thinner lip it is the rope side as it will pull up easier. many of the bent glass will not fit every car.many fords with the cowl welded wont fit the bent glass because the metal shrank and opened up the hole. outside or inside does not really matter as long as it will pull in. go slow and you'll get it in. i've been doing it for years and glass just spooks me ever time.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Like you, I like the the look of the v-butt much better myself, but I don't want to pay for several windshields if the "V" doesn't match my old car (or vise versa). I was just curious if these isolated incidents or if others have experienced it. The windshields came from Chevs of the 40's, which is a really good parts business. Everything I've gotten from them have been first rate. I don't know if these guys just got a couple of bad ones or what. One cracked when the shop was installing it, he bought another one and the second one cracked when he was driving the car out of the shop.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

this is the reason for the trial fit. one thing about the bent glass is it wont give. most are set on a rope of butle . installing them with a rubber seal is scary unless it really fits the hole well. my black 37 ford would not take one. had a 1 inch gap at the bottom. the cowl had been welded before i got it.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

if you do a vbutt sand the edges to get rid of the v so it fits together, polish the edge down to 600 grit and use lexell sealant instead of silicone. the seam will be less noticeable
Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Obviously, a trial fit makes a bunch of sense, no matter what type a guy uses. My '40 was an original car when I bought it, so I doubt if any cowl welding has taken place so I'm probably alright there. The guy who is going to install my windshield said he would install it from the outside, on a rope of sealant then install a trim piece over it. I've never installed one and didn't want to break it, or end up with leaks. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.