v-butted windshields - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2002, 10:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post v-butted windshields

Anybody have any experience with v-butted windshields? Want to put one in my 49 suburban. I have talked with a few people about this and looked at a nice one that was urethaned to the frame itself. I see that there is a rubber moulding kit made by Steele, has anyone tried this? If so what works best for silicon and does anybody have a template? I also talked to a glass shop and they were worried that the glass would seperate were it is silconed together.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2002, 03:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

When I had my windshield done I had my local glass guys use the same 3M product used to seal aquariums (don't remember the name). The glass manufacturer recommended that stuff and it’s been on there for over 5 years with no problems. I also used the Steele rubber windshield moldings. They make great stuff but it's a bit pricey.

Centerline
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com</A>
Old 12-21-2002, 10:42 AM

49, I do the V-butts all the time. on your truck I reccomend using a stock windshield gasket and remove the center bar. if done carefully you can make it very clean. then I rotate the gasket 90 degrees for the people that look at the center for any signs of removal (everyones a judge lol) then if you look at the bar that you removed from a end cut it looks like an H the thickness of the rubber in the center bar of the H (is usually 1/4 inch . when you have the new glass cut you add half of that thickness to each half of windshield (usually 1/8 inch) on 47-53 chev truck I add 3/16 because the windshields are normally shy from the factory. then the glass has to be mitred on the center. the way I figure the angle is with the glass out of the vehicle I put a straight edge across the opening at the bottom and then measure the distance in the middle from the straight edge to the pinch weld in the center. usually 3 1/2 to 5 3/4 then I place blocks on the table and mock that height with the two windshields the then wet sand the glass till they match each other (glass shop can do this when cutting the glass) I never grind the outer edge (hand block lightly) and tape one edge during installion so they don't touch and chip.after the glass is in you should be able to move the glass enough to line the center perfectly (I use suction cups ) I use the thickness of a single edge razor blade to gage the gap (you don't want them touching) then mask the edge of each half windshield insde and out and seal the center with clear silicone. that should get you a pretty nice V-Butt
Old 12-21-2002, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

HI GUYS I RAN OWNED A GLASS SHOP FOR 20 YEARS AND HAVE DONE A FEW WINDSHIELDS IN MY DAY. LOTS OF PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU ALL KINDS OF STUFF TO USE TO SEAL BETWEEN THE TWO HALFS. ONE GUY TOLD ME HE HEARD THAT SILICONE WOULD EAT THE PLASTIC BETWEEN THE GLASS, HOOEY!! SILICONE IS THE BEST THING TO SEAL THAT WITH. WHAT IS NOT RECCOMENED IS URATHANE AS IT HAS LOUSY UV PROPERTIES IF LEFT TO LET THE SUN UV RAYS TO HIT IT IT WILL DISCENTAGRATE IN NO TIME.

BOMO
Old 12-24-2002, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the help ,very useful info

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.