Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - V-Butting Windshield
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

V-Butting Windshield

Looking for some ideas as to how to solve a problem I have butting a windshield on a '42 Ford COE. The truck originally had an opening windshield frame, (which I never got with the truck otherwise I wouldn't be putting in a "V-Butt"). I've read a few posts on installation and they say to place the glass flush with the outside and use a S10 trim. The one picture shows the trim that would be used. The other pictures show the reveal with the pinchweld. The measurerment is 1" from the pinchweld to the outside reveal on the bottom, top and sides. However, as you can see the reveal changes at the top and along the sides. On the bottom the reveal is approximately 1/4"x1/4" while at the top it is 3/8"x1/4" and along the sides it almost disappears. How can I use the trim to fit properly if the reveal changes from the bottom to the top? Maybe there is some other trim that can be used? Also what do I use to space the glass so far from the pinchweld? I can see this as a nightmare. I've described the situation to the glass shop and all they can tell me is to use a lot of urethane to space the glass out from the pinchweld. I know that there are a lot of old Fords running around without their opening front windshields and having "V-Butts", but how do they do it? Unless the COE is a different breed. Another problem, although minor, how does one keep the cloth from separating from the window weather stripping on the side windows? This happen on the corners. Either the felt on the inside pulls away or in this case the outside cloth pulls away. I've tried contact cement, but it has a tendency to let go the next day or so. Any other type of glue out there that I can use? Would appreciate any help of any kind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0165.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	68434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0170.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	865.9 KB
ID:	68435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0171.JPG
Views:	104